Oxygen in the wort question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senoird

Reaction score
Well may have screwed the pooch unknowingly. I have an Aventius clone that I just racked from primary to secondary. I knew that it wasnt gonna be clear and when I brewed it didnt have any Irish Moss for the boil. So I decided that I would just do gelatin once I racked into secondary. Well I racked it and added the gelatin and without thinking stirred it up fairly good. By doing that I just introduced oxygen into the wort. My question is, How screwed am I now? I hear that oxygen in the wort is bad after ferm starts happening but you hear alot a things blown way out in homebrewing. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Gonna allow to secondary for 4 days and then keg.

Oxygen in fermented beer is a bad thing, but you have to introduce a fairly large amount to do any real damage, so you will probably be just fine.

Well first off, it's not wort any more, it's beer!! Oxygen in the wort before fermentation is a wonderful thing. Oxygen after the yeasties have started the party, not so much. Like Sea said, you probably weren't able to dissolve enough oxygen to make a big difference. Did you cause some oxidation? Probably. Is it gonna destroy your beer? Probably not. You're gonna get some oxidation pretty much no matter what you do. Commercial breweries spend big money preventing it, and it still happens to them. The bad news is that the oxidation you caused will eventually spoil your beer. The good news is that you'll have drank it long before it becomes an issue. Next time skip the gelatin. It rarely clears the beer as well as you hope it will, and you also end up stripping flavor out of the beer as well.

Good Luck

Thx for the replies. Well good to hear its not ruined the sample from the hydro sure was good :).

Next time skip the gelatin. It rarely clears the beer as well as you hope it will, and you also end up stripping flavor out of the beer as well.

I've never heard this before - what's the basis for this statement?

Back