oxygen aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kds1398

Reaction score
I bought this http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx system.

I'm very happy with it thus far after 3 uses. I was wondering what people use to secure the tubing to the regulator/oxygen wand. I haven't done anything except just sliding the tubing onto the wand/regulator, and when I turn on the oxygen there is a noticeable hiss at both joints where air is escaping. The tubing seems fairly loose on the barb for the regulator & the wand.

I'm not sure what to use to join the two sides, but I definitely want to be able to detach the wand between batches so I can sanitize it. I was thinking of a hose clamp, but I didn't see any small enough at my local hardware store.

I just push the tube down the wand a good 4-5 inches, and use my fingers to sort of pinch the tube against the wand when in use. I haven't heard any gas escaping at the tube end, but then again, I've never really listened for it either...

you need nothing. you're running like 4psi though there, it won't leak.

pro tip: unscrew the regulator off the O2 tank after EVERY use. they tend to sit low enough they push the pin down and leak the whole tank out by the next time you need to use it.

I bought just the wand and went to Petsmart and got some silicone tubing that's used for aquariums. Fit's tight on the wand and is easy to get off, no clamps needed.

I think that long stainless steel wand would be nice to have. It would make it easy to move the stone around while in use. I thought about getting this one, but got one with all tubing instead. In hindsight I wish I would have bought that one.

Is it easy to get the stone off that thing for cleaning? I like to boil my stone before use.

does that really help? i just pour mine back and fourth or shake it up. it isn't that hard. i guess just because you can use pure oxygen?

rycov said:
does that really help? i just pour mine back and fourth or shake it up. it isn't that hard. i guess just because you can use pure oxygen?

With pure oxygen you get more diffused into your beer than shaking alone. Pouring/shaking is often enough, but I prefer the pure oxygen.

Here is a good oxygen level reference that seems well researched:
http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformation/AerationMethods.pdf

bumstigedy said:
I think that long stainless steel wand would be nice to have. It would make it easy to move the stone around while in use. I thought about getting this one, but got one with all tubing instead. In hindsight I wish I would have bought that one.

Is it easy to get the stone off that thing for cleaning? I like to boil my stone before use.

The stone is fixed to the wand. I boil the stone/wand before use then spray a bit of Star San down the neck of the wand before using it. That may be overkill, but I'm paranoid about sanitization.

Munsoned said:
I just push the tube down the wand a good 4-5 inches, and use my fingers to sort of pinch the tube against the wand when in use. I haven't heard any gas escaping at the tube end, but then again, I've never really listened for it either...

The air is definitely leaking where the hose goes on the regulator even though the hose is pushed all the way onto the barb. The hose/tubing feels looser than expected.

Bitterbrush said:
I bought just the wand and went to Petsmart and got some silicone tubing that's used for aquariums. Fit's tight on the wand and is easy to get off, no clamps needed.

Any idea what OD/ID the silicone tubing was? This seems like a viable solution.

malkore said:
you need nothing. you're running like 4psi though there, it won't leak.

pro tip: unscrew the regulator off the O2 tank after EVERY use. they tend to sit low enough they push the pin down and leak the whole tank out by the next time you need to use it.

I will definitely start taking the regulator off. I've used the same tank 3x so far and it hasn't leaked out yet. It seems like it is leaking because the ID of the hose that came with it is slightly too large for the barb and wand.

Latest posts

Back