Oxyclen Residue - how to remove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
I had oxyclean solution sitting in a few carboys and a bottling bucket for around 2 weeks. I am having trouble rinsing out the residue in the carboys. To make it worse, it has the distinct "springtime fresh" aroma as the Oxyclean was for laundry. Doh!

I was able to clean out the bottling bucket by wiping down with a washcloth.

I tried rinsing and soaking in hot water - no go.
I tried PBW and hot water - no go.
I tried a carboy brush - no go.
I tried a standard overnight soak in bleach - no go

Argh! Maybe I need a stronger bleach solution? I don't know...any ideas? I need a carboy for brewing tomorrow!

Thanks.

You may need to brush that stuff out.

I left oxyclean solution in a small spray bottle I had and it encrusted up so bad I tossed it out. It also ruined the pump on the spray nozzle..

Oxyclean is great stuff, though. I left a dozen or so commercial beer bottles of various sorts soaking in a hot water and oxyclean laundry detergent mix for several hours. All of the labels came off just by sliding or gently peeling them off. Many came off of their own accord. Even the gold foil on the tops of the german beer bottles (Spaten) came off with very little extra effort. The best part was that the oxyclean also dissolved the adhesive. I cleaned the adhesive off of each bottle merely by wiping it with my hands - no scrubbing required.

Have you tried wrapping a rag aroung your carboy brush? You might also try going to the carwash and useing one of the high powered hoses unless you have a pressure washer at home. Yes I have done this I had a yeast cake that dried to the bottom of my carboy because I got called away to an emergency.

I will try the rag on the brush...good idea. The main build-up is where the carboy curves to the neck, so a pressure washer can't reach it.

Pumbaa said:
what about a mild vinager solution and a brush? Just make sure to rinse the begesus out of it afterwards
If the rag on the brush and Pumbaa's vinager doesn't get it out buy a new carboy.
:mug:

Holy Frijoles! That vinegar solution worked wonders! It completely removed all the residue and I didn't even need to brush. :ban:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

You all rock. :rockin:

BrewStef

BrewStef said:
Holy Frijoles! That vinegar solution worked wonders! It completely removed all the residue and I didn't even need to brush. :ban:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

You all rock. :rockin:

BrewStef

How much viniger did you use? I have a keg that i left oxy clean in for several days since i was too lazy to go out in the cold and dump it out.

Gotta learn the hard way as usual...

Back