Oxy clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
Read all kinds of stuff on how great oxy clean is to get the gunk off, so I got some and soaked a bunch of dirty bottles that had been sitting in my garage.
Rinsed them all off over the weekend, and now they are all covered in this powdery white residue. filled a tub with water, sprinkled in some oxyclean and added the bottles. What did i do wrong? So far I am not impressed with oxy clean.... but not blaming oxy clean yet. With all the rave reviews, I must have done something wrong?? Will the white film wash off in a dishwasher??

Oxyclean will leave behind a white powder if the bottles are not rinsed properly. I usually get this on the outside of my bottles, because I don't bother to rinse the outside. I just rinse the inside with a high-pressure bottle washer.

But usually just a light rinse takes care of the problem. Did you rinse the outside of the bottles? Or just the inside? If you rinsed the inside, then I wouldn't be worried about anything.

Shoulda searched first.....
Use hot water, film will result with cold water apparently.
Soak in star san solution should remove the white film.

Lesson learned, search first! :eek:

after the oxy clean soak, I sprayed them off with a jet attachment on the hose. That film and grit would not come off. will try the star san soak. Or maybe just a soak in really hot water would take care of it too.

after the oxy clean soak, I sprayed them off with a jet attachment on the hose. That film and grit would not come off. will try the star san soak. Or maybe just a soak in really hot water would take care of it too.
If you have hard water my understanding is that Oxiclean will leave a film after a long soak. Any acid rinse (vinigar or StarSan) will remove it. It can be avoided by either not soaking for a long time, using PBW which includes additional cheating agents, or attempting to clone PBW with household chemicals.

My experience is if you let them soak too long (several days) you get a residue left on the bottles. 24-48 hours has been ideal for me.

Definitely have very hard water. I have another outdoor faucet that is softened water. I will try using that next time. And not soaking for a week....
Thanks for the tips!

Back