Oxidized cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4k4

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Question, I opened a bottle of hefe I made and noticed a kimda brown orange ring round the rim of the bottle and inside rim of the cap.

What is this, did the cap oxidze and rust a bit? Is this bad for the beer?

Thanks!

Can you post a pic?

I bet it's probably yeast sediment that got caked in there from being upside down for a bit then hardened/dried in place when the bottle was uprighted.

If it was the cap then that's a bad sign, since the caps have a very thin polymer lining. It shouldn't be able to rust through that in a reasonable amount of time, as in longer than the beer should go undrunk. One thing to keep in mind is that beer will oxidize metals even without free oxygen present (as in the kind that oxidizes your beer). So it may have been a breach in the cap lining allowed the beer to contact the metal in the cap, which then rusted (oxdized). This is pretty unlikely to leve a ring around the entire bottle, though.

Post a pic so we can see and help you out.

Here we are. Thats how it looks

ForumRunner_20110727_011828.jpg

ForumRunner_20110727_011859.jpg

What kind of sugar did you prime with? How were the bottles stored?

I've had the same problem, although don't consider it a problem as it's not in contact with the beer. Maybe I just need to dry the lip with some paper towel before fitting the caps as I dunk the bottles in sanitizer, same with the caps.

Yeah, that's rust. It looks like it's on the outside of the cap. Just wipe the lip of the bottle off before drinking/pouring. I pasteurize my caps in hot water before capping bottles and I take them out of the water right before I start to cap, but some that are not completely dry will start to rust by the time I get to the end of the batch.

It shouldn't ever rust on the inside of the cap after bottling.

If it does that is an indicator that you have MASSIVE oxidation issues haha.

This is on the outside of the cap so it is probably just from a sanatizer soak allowing the metal to oxidize

BillyBock said:
Yeah, that's rust. It looks like it's on the outside of the cap. Just wipe the lip of the bottle off before drinking/pouring. I pasteurize my caps in hot water before capping bottles and I take them out of the water right before I start to cap, but some that are not completely dry will start to rust by the time I get to the end of the batch.

Yeah thats the same thing I do, suppose I should let em dry more a bit prior to capping

Back