Oxidising Cider in a Pickle Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a batch of cider that's currently aging in an old food grade pickle bucket. I made sure to get rid of the pickle smell before aging in it, of course. I started fermenting 12/20/2013 and I transfered it to the bucket no more than a month ago after it finished secondary fermentation. I gave it a taste test to see if all is well, and it's much better than my last batch (I suspect longer aging and a lower fermentation temp has something to do with it). It's taste is hard to describe. It's not noticeably tart or acidic like my last batch was, and there's only a hint of detectable alcohol. There's a lingering apple flavour in the aftertaste and a sight hint of alcohol up front. It came in at about 7% ABV. It hasn't cleared, however (not a huge problem for me). What I'm wondering is, based on my description, does it sound like it could benefit from more aging? Will it clear if I give it time? Could headspace in the bucket cause oxidation? If so, how would I detect off-flavours caused by it?

Latest posts

Back