Oxidation risk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanchy

Reaction score
I've got 5 gallons of apple wine in a 6 gallon carboy. I would like to oak it before I bottle, but would opening it up before bottling time be too risky? It's full of CO2 now (I haven't touched it since I first pitched the yeast, except to degas during the first week), but that is a lot of surface area exposed to the air if I open it up to add oak cubes.

I've got 5 gallons of apple wine in a 6 gallon carboy. I would like to oak it before I bottle, but would opening it up before bottling time be too risky? It's full of CO2 now (I haven't touched it since I first pitched the yeast, except to degas during the first week), but that is a lot of surface area exposed to the air if I open it up to add oak cubes.

You've never racked it? It depends on how long it's been in there, but you may have a ton of lees. Remember that co2 won't just stay in there forever, and headspace will allow oxidation and even mold, so I'd rack it ASAP and top up. You can oak then if you'd like.

Shouldn't pose that much of a risk, but you can sulfite it if you feel the need, sulfites will protect it from oxidation. Regards, GF.

Back