Oxidation or infection in PET bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHouseBrewhaus

Reaction score
I very rarely post questions because I can almost always do a search to find my answer. But this one has me stumped. Here's the story ...

In my rash, youthful, early days of brewing (last year) I used to always bottle one 24 oz PET bottle along with my glass bottles when bottling a batch. This was my "carb check" bottle. When the bottle got firm I knew the batch was carbonated (now I just wait 3 weeks and trust the yeast). Somewhere along the line I would eventually drink this bottle but sometimes "eventually" could be longer than other times.

Well, tonight I noticed that a PET bottle I had in the fridge from a batch I bottled 8 months ago (Old Peculier clone) had a bit of a bulging top. I opened it expecting a gusher but it stayed in the bottle. I poured it and found it WAY over carbed. It had the spritely fizz of 3.2 volume Belgian even though it was carbed at 2.4 volumes. It also tasted puckeringly sour. No gusher, no ring inside the bottle neck. I dumped it and immediately grabbed a glass bottle of the same brew, which I have been drinking happily for the last 6 months. It was fine, as all the others have been.

So my first thought was that maybe 8 months in plastic had allowed either oxidation or some synthetic off flavor to develop. None of the glass bottles of this brew suffered this fate. I figured if it was an infection, the whole batch would have been infected. I tend to be quite anal about sanitation and have never had an infection so I don't know what that tastes like. I also don't know (or at least have never identified) the taste of oxidized beer.

At this point, my best guess is that the PET bottle had at least one persistent bug tucked away somewhere inside. Maybe it was hidden in one of the little dimples they have in the bottom of the bottle or in some scratch in the plastic that somehow escaped Oxyclean and iodophor.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does this sound like oxidation or infection? Do PET bottles have issues with either of those? The good news is that it was only one bottle but it definitely has me stumped.

Probably not. The head brew tech on the Cooper's forums told me, when I asked how long beers in there PET bottles were good for, he said 8 months. Then oxygen starts permeating the plastic. Even though theirs have a nylon lining inside. So you reached the time limit of the PET bottle's material construction.

OK, so the jury is split. I guess it comes down to two questions. What does oxidized beer taste like? And what does infected beer taste like? Just to be safe, I threw out the PET bottle. I don't use a "carb check" bottle anymore, anyhow. But I'm still perplexed.

Pretty sure oxidation doesn't create "puckeringly sour" or increased carbonation -- that sounds much more like an infection issue. Interesting info from Cooper's, tho.

Yeah, the brew tech guy calls himself PB2 on the Cooper's forums. It may have been a gusher infection. I've had glass bottles get oxidized when my old wing capper was giving out. Tasted & smelled like damp, moldy cardboard from a musty basement.

I did some more looking around and I saw the "wet cardboard" description a lot for oxidation. The taste definitely wasn't wet cardboard. Now I've never actually tasted wet cardboard before but I assume it's one of those "you'll know it when you taste it" things. It's looking like an infected bottle. So after 30+ brews, I can now say I've had an infection. Woo-hoo! I've joined the club! What's tbe secret handshake :)

Yeah, the PET bottle was the only plastic one. All others were glass and have been fine. The PET was a hand-me-down from a buddy so it may have been pretty old and scratched up. Not a problem since I'm not using plastic anymore. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Back