oxidation... do i need to worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
hola beer lovers!

i'm going to brew my innagural batch this sunday, and while reading through this forum, i read that somone was concerned about oxidation in their fermenter using an "ale pail".

so i guess my question is, how long would be too long to sit in the primary?

i've got a Nut Brown Ale recipe that i am going to use, and would like to have it in my primary for at least 2-3 weeks. should i rack to a carboy after a certain time in order to avoid oxidation???

thanks!!!! :cross:

Many, many, brewers leave theirs in primary for 4 weeks, and dont use a secondary carboy/better bottle. For a simple nut brown ale I dont see a need to leave it in any longer than those 4 weeks maximum so no worries about oxidation.

whew!

i figured i would be alright, but it seems that i encounter a new question everytime i read this site! i'm just trying to make sure i get a good end result!

better safe than sorry!!!

thanks for the help!

+1 on 4wks in 1º.

Although I usually aim for three weeks in the primary. Then straight to bottle.

just presented my barley wine to my local brew club and they loved it. (most said i should enter it) It sat in a plastic bucket fermenter for 9 months and tastes just fine.

...thanks for the head's up. i will try to leave it in for 3 or 4 weeks, but i may get a little antsy!

new (probably stupid) question:

...a Home Brew friend told me to buy a mesh filter. is that completely necessary? i'm aware that there is going to be sediment in the bottles... how effective are these filters he speaks of?

since Revvy isn't here to say it, i'll add that beer is pretty hearty stuff. If you worry about all the 'what could go wrong' scenarios, you'll never brew. I mean really, if you are worried about oxidation then only use glass carboys, but beware because they have been known to break and cut people and yada yada yada... there are upsides and downsides to everything, but as others have said, 3 weeks in a bucket will likely be just fine. Three years... maybe not.

personally, i hate screwing things up, but i've come to realize that is how one learns in this process.

Back