oxiclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
several people recommended oxiclean as a good cleaner to use. the only oxiclean i can seem to find is the oxiclean versatile stain remover or oxiclean free. this is intended for laundry use. is this what you guys are using as a cleaner for cleaning equipment and such? is there another cleaner out there that is more appropriate?

Oxiclean is the preferred product due to lack of perfumes. That's the stuff you're looking for.

Where are you guys buying this stuff. Right now I'm using the Oxyclean versatile with a lot of rinsing after because I can't seem to find the Oxyclean free anywhere. I even look on the Oxyclean website and it's not listed there either.

Where are you guys buying this stuff. Right now I'm using the Oxyclean versatile with a lot of rinsing after because I can't seem to find the Oxyclean free anywhere. I even look on the Oxyclean website and it's not listed there either.

I got my tub at walmart. It's in with the laundry detergents. It's technically "Oxiclean Versatile Free"

+1 to Oxyclean Free.

I've also had good results with TSP (Trisodium phosphate) from the paint aisle at the hardware store. TSP is the base for lots of commercial detergents, and works great. Just rinse it really well. Dishwasher detergent works in a pinch, but you have to mix like hell to get it to dissolve.

I use SUN brand or OxiClean on my system... I love it.

Cleans my HDPE fermentors excellent.

I use half my cooling liquid (5 gal), transferred to my BK, heated to 140F there and pumped through my system for cleaning with 1oz of Oxi.

I then use the other half of my cooling liquid (5 gal), transferred to my BK, heated to 140F there and pumped through my system with StarSan for rinsing.

im still confused why people use it because its in the laundry section at the store and its used for stains and such. like where did someone come up with the idea of using this laundry cleaner for cleaning beer equip.? isnt there other all purpose cleaners out there that make more sense? can anybody back up oxiclean why its used for the cleaning of beer equip. purpose? sorry, i just dont get it..:confused:

Oxiclean isn't "laundry cleaner". It's just marketed as such. It's sodium precarbonate, basically the powdered form of Hydrogen Peroxide. It's just a cleaner, or detergent. Stop worrying about what isle in the store it comes from and consider the chemical composition. It's an oxigenated all purpose cleaner, not a laundry additive. Don't believe the hype! Buy it, use it, love it. Just wait until you need to remove some labels from beer bottles... HAZZAH!

Edit: P.S. What Oxiclean does really really well is break down organic matter. I.E. it's good for cleaining krausen off of carboys, plastic buckets, and Better Bottles without damaging them! This is also what makes it great for laundry purposes, because most laundry stains are organic in nature.

Oxiclean isn't "laundry cleaner". It's just marketed as such. It's sodium precarbonate, basically the powdered form of Hydrogen Peroxide. It's just a cleaner, or detergent. Stop worrying about what isle in the store it comes from and consider the chemical composition. It's an oxigenated all purpose cleaner, not a laundry additive. Don't believe the hype! Buy it, use it, love it. Just wait until you need to remove some labels from beer bottles... HAZZAH!

Edit: P.S. What Oxiclean does really really well is break down organic matter. I.E. it's good for cleaining krausen off of carboys, plastic buckets, and Better Bottles without damaging them! This is also what makes it great for laundry purposes, because most laundry stains are organic in nature.

thanks man, you sold me, ill go pick some up....

I hate sounding like billy mays but, oxiclean is the greatest thing ever...

I had a 5 gal carboy where the yeast caked at the top and it was so hard to clean...

I tried, bleach, boiling water (not recommended for glass) baking soda with rice... and nothing worked... finally I gave oxiclean a shot, and it worked right away!...

i love it

im still confused why people use it because its in the laundry section at the store and its used for stains and such. like where did someone come up with the idea of using this laundry cleaner for cleaning beer equip.? isnt there other all purpose cleaners out there that make more sense? can anybody back up oxiclean why its used for the cleaning of beer equip. purpose? sorry, i just dont get it..:confused:

A similar product specifically made for brewing is PBW. It basically oxy clean formulated for hard water. If you dont have hard water, Oxy works in the exact same way as PBW.

On my last brewcast I was complimented on how clean and shieny my keggle was... it is all due to Oxi baby. 1 ounce in 10 gallons in the kettle just tears it up!

I first used B Brite from my LHBS until I realized it was basically OxyClean. Now I use only Oxyclean Free or Sun (the really cheap Walmart alternative), same sodium percarbonate. Sun was about 1/5th the price of OxyClean last time I looked.

SUN brand is $1/lb here, that is 160 gallons of cleaner.

OxiClean brand is $2/lb here as well, for the same 160 gallons of cleaner.

I am using OxiClean Free at the moment, as it was on sale and I like the multicolor tub ;)

PBW here is $5.25/lb for the same 160 gallons of cleaner.

When you consider I only use maybe 1 pound per year, the cost difference doesnt mean much. But... it is there.

It Has The Cleaning Power Of Oxygen!!!

Edit: Bah! Forum won't let me post in all caps :(

I use 1 tablespoon of Sun Oxygen Cleaner (unscented) from the Dollar Store and 1 Tablespoon TSP-90 from Ace Hardware per 5 gallons water. 24 hour soak minimum. Then rinse well & sanitize with Star-San. Never needed to scrubbed anything.

I have used the Oxyclean and it works great but the PBW is better. It cleans better, dissolves faster, foams less and rinses easier. PBW is more expensive but it does work better.

NOTE: When using Oxyclean or PBW use HOT WATER. Dissolve in hot water and rinse using hot water. ALSO be careful with these caustic type cleaners around certain metals. Aluminum and copper will not do well with prolonged exposure. you can use it but don't soak overnight and rinse very well.

OxiClean is caustic? Ive soaked copper in it for weeks, just to test this idea... and nothing happened? I started a thread on it about 6 mo. ago

how much oxiclean do you use per water for cleaning? my girlfriend snagged a bag from her grandparents, so i just have a bag of oxiclean and dont know how much to use..

how much oxiclean do you use per water for cleaning? my girlfriend snagged a bag from her grandparents, so i just have a bag of oxiclean and dont know how much to use..

I use 1oz to 10 gallons warm water. Make sure it is OxiClean FREE

OxiClean is caustic? Ive soaked copper in it for weeks, just to test this idea... and nothing happened? I started a thread on it about 6 mo. ago

Maybe not in the Oxyclean but the PBW definitely has something in it that is caustic. I used it to clean up an aluminum turkey fryer and it messed up that aluminum real bad.

Maybe not in the Oxyclean but the PBW definitely has something in it that is caustic. I used it to clean up an aluminum turkey fryer and it messed up that aluminum real bad.

From what I have HEARD, Oxi will do the same, though copper is not an issue. I dont think either is caustic, but the Aluminum will oxidize rapidly.

PBW isn't caustic. Here is a selection from the tech sheet:

Also, PBW can be used in any temperature water. Oxy is most effective with hot water.

P.B.W. is a buffered alkaline detergent that has been proven to be more than an
effective substitute for caustic soda cleaners. Because of its unique formulation of
buffers and mild alkalis, it is safe on skin as well as soft metals such as stainless steel,
aluminum, and on plastics. P.B.W. uses active oxygen to penetrate carbon or protein
soils and is not effected by hard water. The oxygen also helps in reducing B.O.D. and
C.O.D. in wastewater, which is an added environmental benefit.
P.B.W. has been formulated as a C.I.P. cleaner and is very effective in removing protein
soils found on brew kettles, fermenters, conditioning tanks, filters and all packaging
areas. The concentrations to remove these soils are typically in the 1% range.
However, due to soil and water conditions this concentration will vary. To help in hard
water areas P.B.W. has been formulated with enough chelators to tolerate hard water
over 17 grains.
P.B.W. is an excellent choice as a soak cleaner because it does not require
excessive heat as do most caustic based cleaners. This product has cleaned
brass and copper filters, and industrial aluminum surfaces successful ly.

Link to tech sheet and msds

PBW isn't caustic. Here is a selection from the tech sheet:

Also, PBW can be used in any temperature water. Oxy is most effective with hot water.

Link to tech sheet and msds

yeah go soak some aluminum overnight and see what happens. It's not nearly as harsh as other highly caustics but it ain't harmless. Short term exposure is proably fine but I wouldn't set it to soak and forget it for a few days. Stainless, glass, plastics should be no problems. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience.

Also, it may work in any temp water but it works way better in hot water. It's also way easier to rinse off with hot water. Higher temperature speed the effects of all chemical reactions.

Personal experience here- I soaked my aluminum brew pot in oxyclean over night. The pot was black everywhere the oxy was touching it. I scrubbed that pot with copper wool for hours and managed to get it just MOSTLY black. :( At that point I figured, what the heck, it's just oxidized aluminum, which we all boil water to cure our pots to get. I've brewed at least 8 batches with that pot since then and have had no off flavours. The black has faded just slightly, but not enough to worry me about contaminated beer.

Terje

what about oxiclean versatile or versatile free?

As long as it sayes FREE. This means that there are no fragrances added. If it isnt FREE, then you will probably have to rinse it much more thoroughly.

Oxyclean is something I kept seeing in threads over and over (and then sticking in the back of my mind). So finding this exchange prompted me to go and get some.

Back