oxiclean free vs. oxiclean versatile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
so i went to 4 stores in search of oxiclean free from which none of them carried. i went ahead and just picked up the oxiclean versatile. is this ok to use? it says chlorine free on the container. i was wondering how many people out there used versatile and if there was any other info i should know about it before i use it the same way as oxiclean free..

I'm pretty sure the versatile has perfumes in it. It will work, just make sure you rinse very well to get rid of any smells.

Have they stopped selling the unscented version? You are the second person in a few days thats said they can't find it. I've gotten it at Walmart and the grocery store before.

Another option is the generic brand called "Sun". Maybe you can find their unscented version.

Definitely do not want to be using it if it has perfumes. That stuff will flavor the heck out of stuff cleaned with it.

I wouldn't personally use the perfumed version, I'd rather pay the extra for PBW if I couldn't find OxyClean Free. If you absolutely have to use it be sure to rinse well to remove as much of the smell as possible.

I use the oxy verisitle. i rinse then san star, no issues.

+1... here in Japan, no such thing as Free... you can get the versatile at Costco though (even here in Japan).

I make sure I do an awesome rinse job and then use starsan (imported). I haven't had any issues yet.

I use the oxy verisitle, with a dishwasher rinse (no soap or jet dry), and then star san. I've had no problems.

I saw OxyClean Free at Target just this week... so it's still around. Try there.

Free is totally still around, just harder to find for some reason. Others have said (in this thread and other threads) that they've used Versatile with no problems. My personal preference is to not use it.

My wife just picked up a 3.5 lb. tub of it for me. It says both "versatile" and "Free" on the tub. It also says free of perfume. dyes and chlorine.

IIRC, the "versatile" means it has a surfactant (detergent) in it. As long as it says "Free" on it too, it won't have smelly stuff.

My wife just picked up a 3.5 lb. tub of it for me. It says both "versatile" and "Free" on the tub. It also says free of perfume. dyes and chlorine.

You are good to go. I think you can quickly identify the un-scented OxyClean by the green top.

I've been using versatile for a while now with no ill effects. Just make sure you rinse with lots of hot water and give whatever you are cleaning the sniff test before using it.

Yeah, I picked up a tub of the "free" stuff at walmart about a week ago for around $8. Hmm, maybe I should stock up on em.

Back