Oversized (but not too) Blow-Off ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for an existing, or easy to make, oversized blow-off.

I have Big Mouth Bubblers and the 1" ID tube ID doesn't fit well and it's a pain to position the tube where I want it. I'm tired of stacking paint cans with a kitchen pot on top to make it work.

I've also stuck a 1/2" ID hose over the inner portion of a 3-piece airlock, and while that gets me a manageable 1/2" ID blow-off (probably big enough ID) which I can stick into a canning jar, it still goes through a smaller neck of the airlock itself that can clog and tried to on my last brew.

My current plan is to get (already ordered) a 1/2" stainless tube with a few (custom) bends in it from Brew Hardware, buy a solid #6.5 rubber stopper, and then lastly stick a 1/2" hole in that stopper - which is easier said than done. I know I can't simply drill it, so I'm looking at maybe getting a "cork borer" to do that. Perhaps a 1/2" tube will just jam into the opening of a normal drilled stopper but it sounds like quite a stretch.

I also looked into the Spiedel stuff but it's just a bit too big for normal US carboy dimensions.

Those are my ideas. Does something like this already exist?

Figured I'd follow up.

1/2" blow-off tube: Anvil Foundry™ Boiler Lid Tube

.375" OD thermowell (hard to find them this OD to actually fill up a stopper hole): Brewers Hardware 16" Stainless Steel Thermowell

And Steve, who I randomly found on the internet making home-vintner bits, kindly custom made stoppers where I couldn't find the combos I wanted, here: 2 Hole Tapered Bungs and Rubber Stoppers (Pure Gum)

Seems to be working well. I figured my old setup, using a cut 3-piece airlock, had a hole closer to 1/4" diameter. The 1/2" tubing will be 3 - 4 times as much area as what I had been using and hopefully not ever get plugged up.

In case it helps someone, someday.

Back