Overpitch result - 1.001 SG in 5 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
I think I miscalculated my starter and added 397 grams of DME instead of 297. Banked some, but pitched the rest anyway (Flagship A07, aka chico strain yeast) into OG 1.0525 IPA (scintering stone of 1.5 liters 02 per minute addition for 1 minute). 5.9 gal into fermenter (using Grainfather), 10 lbs pilsner, 0.90 lbs 40 caramel; 152F mash with 168 mashout. I'm at SG 1.001 now in 5 days. I suspected the fermentation to be fast, but didn't expect SG to go so low.

I think I miscalculated my starter and added 397 grams of DME instead of 297. Banked some, but pitched the rest anyway (Flagship A07, aka chico strain yeast) into OG 1.0525 IPA (scintering stone of 1.5 liters 02 per minute addition for 1 minute). 5.9 gal into fermenter (using Grainfather), 10 lbs pilsner, 0.90 lbs 40 caramel; 152F mash with 168 mashout. I'm at SG 1.001 now in 5 days. I suspected the fermentation to be fast, but didn't expect SG to go so low.

That yeast should only get to 80% attenuation in barley wort, given perfect conditions. That is, you shouldn't get below about 1.010. If you do, you might have a freeloader onboard the brewtrain. Maybe recheck your hydrometer measurement, and perhaps reconsider how you made your OG measurement. If you're confident with those, then hold off on bottling and make sure "it" finishes.

You’re not getting SG off a Tilt, are you? Anomalously low (and high) readings are par for the course with a Tilt. Recheck with a hydrometer or refractometer. But an overpitch … I’m not even sure it’s a thing, for homebrewers. Certainly not the cause of your hyperattenuation.
YES - it is a tilt! My second brew with it. The first brew (Lager), came dead on, perhaps because the lager didn't have the massive Kreusen as this brew does. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to break out the glass reader :(

Yep. I love my Tilts, but they’re only trustworthy as far as general trends — what phase is fermentation at, or is it over — though monitoring temperature is nice, too. Maybe it has something to do with how the krausen is stuck to the tube, but I’ve had them go both way over and way under as far as absolute values go.

Back