BREWCAST 10-27-09 E-HERMS/Closed System Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipe looks good to me. It will be clean and 25 IBU should be a nice balance. You could consider throwing a couple hops in at 5 minutes just to brighten the aroma a bit. Not a lot but maybe like .1 oz. Just for some flair. Why not....

i was excited and thought this was today because I looked at the date after midnight. woke up and logged in and nothing..... o well, tomorrow! cant wait to see this fancy rig in action

Well, this isnt going to be as hands off as my typical brew days are with a single rest temp. Since I have three rest temps to hit, I will be boiling a couple small additions for the mash so that I can hit the triple rest schedule.

The HERMS will be used to maintain the Sacc. rest temp and for the mashout. Then the fly sparge, electic boil, and closed system wort cooling with kettle recirculation.

My pH meter is ready to go as well.

Grains are crushed, measuring salts later for the water to create Papazians Pilsen profile.

Here is the crush, .035" on the BC mill at about 100RPM
P1020405.JPG

My Helles is really good with FWH. Gives a bit of hop flavor and a nice round bitterness. There, that's my feedback. :)

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the pH meter. Coffee roaster, pH meter... at least your brew rig works. (hope I didn't just jinx ya...)

My Helles is really good with FWH. Gives a bit of hop flavor and a nice round bitterness. There, that's my feedback. :)

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the pH meter. Coffee roaster, pH meter... at least your brew rig works. (hope I didn't just jinx ya...)

The SHTUFF that I build, it built to last, this crap from Korea, not so much.

Inquisitive minds wish to know: Why aren't you no-chilling this one? N_G

Well, no chill doesnt work, remember?

Plus, a closed system is what all of this has been about since I began, now I have it with the option to cool in a closed system in a more eff. manner than my old IC which took copious amounts of water and required a garden hose to operate.

Well ****-me! I guess I'd better flush the last 30 gals of beer made this summer. Dang it! Thanks for the update!- N_G

Nothing that I do is about a certain process... like no chill. I didnt start no chill wort production to be different, I did it so that I could be closer to a closed system. Which is also what the electric was all about.

Now... I have the chilling option built in to my rig with no need to drag hoses in 20F weather in the winter, and much better cooling power than the IC in the summer.

OK whew. :) No need to dump my brew then!

Good luck and I'll probably check-in just in time to see the boil over.

I dont have boilovers... the camera just blacks out!

HLT is filled, everything is pretty much ready to go. Ran a couple more tests on the pump, pumping boiling liquid tonight... excellent results.

Cant wait to see you all there.

Here is the crush, .035" on the BC mill at about 100RPM
P1020405.JPG

That crush is just flat sexy... it is like the picts of the McD's hamburger that is shellaced in the ads... my pasta roller is cheap... but does not give that pretty of a crush.

It is late. The octoberfast is FINALLY not foaming. and I am up in the AM... so I am done now.

The Pol would you be able to post the water profile. I'm trying to get more water profiles and have never seen this one. Thanks and looking forward to seeing your brew.

The water profile is in the OP, here it is again, the OP is pretty jam packed.

Water Profile: Papazians Pilsen
Ca: 7 SO4: 5 Mg: 2 Na: 2 Cl: 5

Recipe looks good to me. It will be clean and 25 IBU should be a nice balance. You could consider throwing a couple hops in at 5 minutes just to brighten the aroma a bit. Not a lot but maybe like .1 oz. Just for some flair. Why not....

Sounds good...

What does it take to log in an actually chat during the broadcast. This site is pi$$ing me off bad. I have an account and I'm logged in just won't let me chat. Arghhh!

Dunno what happened to the feed guys. I was preoccupied getting the pump to pull from the kettle and when I turned around, my STBY screen was on. Woke up the computer and bam, no more brewcast.

I have one video on there from the beginning of the brewcast, but the last half is lost.

Cooling now... I have to find a better way to utilize the SS scrub pad that I use to filter junk from my pick-up tube, as it was restricting the flow too much and I couldnt get my wort to flow from the kettle to the pump initially.

Pol, I can hook you up with rice hulls. PM me with your address and I'll send 'em on. Truthfully, I rarely use them any more.

Thanks fellas... here are some of the final stats.

Mash pH was 5.56 throughout the mash.

Conversion eff. per Kaisers chart was 97%

Eff. to the kettle was 88% (1.035 @ 7.6 gallons)

Eff. to the fermentor was 86% (1.048 @ 5.0 to the fermentor) Losses were in the kettle and cooling system.

OG was 1.048

I was also able to use the water in the HLT for cooling, to rinse the kettle, and then the remainder was used with some OxiClean to clean the kettle and plumbing. Set the PID at 150F and recirculated the cleaner through the system.

Long brew day with the three step mash and the issues with the grain bed sticking no matter what I tried. Should be a successful Pils though!

It is now resting at 57F

HERE ARE THE VIDEOS OF THE SESSION!!

Part One
[ame]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2434662[/ame]

Part Two (lost feed as I started to chill though :( )
[ame]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2435400[/ame]

Here is the summary from Kaisers Eff. Spreadsheet... NICE!
Pils_Eff_.bmp

Nifty graph...I'm gonna have to spend more time on Kai's site.

I wish I could have been there for this one...ustream chat is blocked at work, so I'm just gonna assume you boiled over and everything else went well.

Nifty graph...I'm gonna have to spend more time on Kai's site.

I wish I could have been there for this one...ustream chat is blocked at work, so I'm just gonna assume you boiled over and everything else went well.

Why dont you watch the videos?

No boil over.

Reached a boil in 5 minutes.

The system rocked again, my eff. was damn high though... not sure why.

Hey, thanks for setting this up. I didn't get to watch the whole thing but I am going to go back and watch the videos.

Why dont you watch the videos?

No boil over.

Reached a boil in 5 minutes.

The system rocked again, my eff. was damn high though... not sure why.

Just joshin' about the boilover ;) I know your rig is pretty well dialed in and controlled...

I feel so left out watching the videos without the ability to interact....I mean, lets face it, there's not much to see without the ability to participate in the conversation....I get to see the same shot of your brew rig, (which is very pretty), for 4 hours, with some cool shots of you looking in your refractometer and answering questions I didn't get to read :(, (although last time when you managed to let us see through your hydro on the web cam was pretty cool). I could chat on the last site you used, (flystream or something??), but not ustream...

edit: and grats on the successful day!

I am redesigning a portion of my kettle, mainly how I take the wort out of it... this will be seen on the next brewcast.

My conversion eff. on this batch was 97%
Lauter eff. was 91%

Mash System Eff. was 88%
Brewhouse (after all losses) eff. 83%

Never imagined that this stuff would ferment so vigorously at 53F... it is really going strong!

Hello there Pol, can I see your numbers on Kai's spreadsheet? I used it this weekend on my brew and I am coming up with like 400% on the total, I know I am not that good. I just wanted to see it from someone who knew what they were doing.

Back