Overflowing Kraussen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
I pitched some nottingham ale yeast in an extract stout I brewed on Friday. As of today the kraussen has blown the airlock off and overflowed into my swamp cooler. I replaced the airlock with a blowoff tube into a bucket of star san, which now has turned brown from all the blow off gunk.

Question is, the kraussen is up to the neck of the carboy, should I rack into a secondary after a week or so? Or will it be fine to leave in the primary for the 3-4 weeks I plan on letting it go? Will the kraussen subside? Or does it really matter in the long run?

Thanks!

Yeah, the krausen will subside when the "high krausen" part of fermentation is done. Leaving it in the primary FV is fine for 4 weeks.

I'd say, just clean up your blowoff tube for now, and when the krausen really drops off, then you can replace your airlock.

Great thanks for the input guys! This is my 4th brew I've done, and I've never had such a vigorous fermentation before! This is the first time I've used Danstar Nottingham though, all the others I've used US-05

I just had the same question for a sour that will be in the glass primary for 6 months. I asked a brewmaster if I should worry about the leftover krausen on the upper fermenter walls for this extended period of time. His answer was no, not at all. You just want to keep that stuff from somehow getting back into the beer. It will negatively affect flavor of the finished brew.

Back