Overflowing keg of foam!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyG

Reaction score
Sooooo, I like to think im good at brewing... but I have had quite the night!!!

So here's the info. I JUST put the pressure on my keg... at like 10 psi just to slowly ramp up the pressure... I didn't hear ANYTHING, like no CO2 flowing into the keg at all... I then upped the pressure to 18 psi... seeing if the flow would start... and nothing... so I decided to vent off some pressure to see if the pressure would drop back down... and it started..... foam overflowing out the top...... I initially thought I must have switched the posts, and be pressurising from the long dip tup.... so I said, it i take the top off and see ( i knew this would probably initiate more foam so at least I did it in the sink )....

Long story short, probably about 1/3 of the keg foamed out into my sink...

In the end, my posts werent switched and were installed correctly... retook my gravity its fine, so its not like it fermented down and created a huge amount of pressure.... the beer was quite cold... like 40 degF....

What the hell happened?!!? any ideas... is it possible my short dip tube was under the beer level and somehow this caused it? I'm lost for ideas...

How long was the keg sitting for before all this? Had you just moved it? It doesn't take much to shake a keg up. Shaking will cause the same thing with a keg as with a bottle or a can. If it's shook before opening it will foam like crazy.

Latest posts

Back