overflow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SewerRanger

Reaction score
So I cracked open my first bottle of beer today (it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks now) and it basically exploded, sending head rushing out of the bottle. Almost half of the bottle turned into head (22oz bottles so it was a lot of head). Any idea what would have caused it to do this? I opened another one and it was fine.

Gushers are indicative of an infection. If you opened other bottles that are fine then maybe you're lucky and it was just that one bottle that was infected.

Well, there are a couple of possibilities that come to my mind. One is that you didn't mix the priming sugar well in the bottling bucket, so some bottles got overprimed. The other is that you may have left too much headspace in that bottle. The last one is that you may have bottled a little early.

If the rest are fine, though, no worries!

Yeah, I had this issue on my first batch of winter spiced ale, a Brewer's Best kit. The first few 6 packs didn't do it, but when I got to the 2nd case, I had to make sure I opened it over the sink. Now, I figure with an infected beer, you get really bad taste, but in this case, they tasted the same all the way through. I refrigerated prior to opening and still got the same results. We ended up not really caring for this brew too much, but drank it all.:)

The beer all taste fine, so I don't think it'd be infection. The first bottle was cold. Maybe that's the issue. We're letting them sit for another week to see what that does.

Back