overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirotec

Reaction score
So started my second batch and everything was going good until dun dun dun... i put in the new wart chiller. Apparently it had a leak in an unexpected spot so my 5 gallon batch turned into 6. There was still room in the top but not enough it seems because the brew slowly bubbles out the top, i guess my question is if a recipe calls for so much water but you put in extra is it just going to be a slightly weaker batch or is there something else i should worry about?

Yes your overall batch would be slightly watered down then planned but I think the real worry is that water running through the wort chiller that got in. It most likely isn't the cleanest most sanitized water. I mean it could be fine but I'm always worried about sanitation.

There are a couple of things you can do to remedy your situation: The first being putting your wort on the stove to re-sterilize and reduce it's volume to bring your Original Gravity up, or, hope the wort is still bacteria free and go to your local (I hope) HBS and pick up some DME to add to what you have now to raise your O.G. back up. By the way, please tell us what the recipe said the O.G. and F.G. are supposed to be, and what it is currently.

I guess in that case it would be a good idea to boil it a bit. Maybe adding some maltodextrin

Latest posts

Back