Overcarbed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I kegged a blonde/pale summer ale on Saturday. My usual procedure is 30psi for 24 hours, then turn it down to serving pressure for about 2 weeks. It's usually carbed in a week, but better after another week.

This time, in an effort to get it ready for a gathering this weekend, I figured I would leave it at 30psi for 48 hours, then drop to 12psi to speed it up.

I obviously can't count, because I was thinking that I would drop the pressure on Tuesday (this would be 72 hours anyway), and then I forgot to do it. So this morning, it is all foam. I turned off the gas, and I will just vent it every time I think of it for the next day or so, then put the gas back to 12.

There is a pretty good amount of wheat in it, so it's already going to have a bigger head than other beers. The good thing is that it seems to taste good. It does have that certain slightly sweet homebrew taste, which I think is from the Crystal 20. And it's dry hopped with El Dorado, so it's fruity and sweet, but not cloying.

Fingers crossed on getting the foam to go down some!

Did you pull the keg out of your kegerator/fridge/keezer? If not you could do that to get the CO2 to escape quicker and then still vent. If you leave it in your cooling unit it might take a little longer.

Did you pull the keg out of your kegerator/fridge/keezer? If not you could do that to get the CO2 to escape quicker and then still vent. If you leave it in your cooling unit it might take a little longer.

Good point. Thanks!!

If you're going to wait the week or two anyway, just set it at 12 psi and leave it. No need to jack up the initial pressure.

I was hoping to have it ready in a week so I tried to rush it. Argh.

Back