Overcarbed/Twang Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a source:

http://hbd.org/ajdelange/Brewing_articles/BT_Chlorine.pdf

It lists a half life of 26 minutes. It's typical to think of the removal of something taking 5 half-lives or 130 minutes. It is not considered an adequate way to remove chloramine. Campden tablets, on the other hand, are extremely cheap and take less than 5 minutes to remove chloramines.

Sorry I can't read your document. Too scientific. LOL... But maybe because your source is from 1998, it could be outdated?

But here's my source: http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=957

It lists a few ways of getting rid of chloramine.

It's an interesting read actually...

(sorry if I double posted; sorry to hijack this post)

It appears in the taste AND in the burp, but it's more noticeable in the taste on the higher carbonated beers?

I know you said you trust the scale, but have you tested your scale to see if it's calibrated? It could be precise, just not accurate.

I've lingering issues with my beer, I've been trying to sort out as well. It doesn't appear every beer, but it does reappear. So, I feel you and know it's a pain to try to figure some of these things out. Best of luck.

The higher carbonated beers have that metalic/twinge to them, yes. The burp has the same taste.

The perfectly carbed beers I've had don't have that taste, but I do get that taste in the burp

Sorry I can't read your document. Too scientific. LOL... But maybe because your source is from 1998, it could be outdated?

But here's my source: http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=957

It lists a few ways of getting rid of chloramine.

It's an interesting read actually...

(sorry if I double posted; sorry to hijack this post)

That document makes no sense though. Chlorine can DEFINITELY be removed by boiling. Chloramine can too, but not in the times used by most brewers.

That document makes no sense though. Chlorine can DEFINITELY be removed by boiling. Chloramine can too, but not in the times used by most brewers.

I was going to post a new thread about this but I don't think it's necessary anymore, because I don't think I need another opinion. I read your document more carefully and while it's from 2001 and well researched, it makes an assumption about how much time it takes to remove chloramine from boiling. This is a quote from the summary: "Chloramine can be removed by boiling though an extended boil may be required. "

In other words, there was no data at the time that showed exactly when it would be removed). My document says it takes 20 minutes of soft boiling.... and it's more recent. So.. we agree now? That according to the San Francisco water company, it takes 20 minutes to remove chloramine from the city water?

TOO MUCH: iron or calcium oxalate in the water

Not sure but this stood out to me.

Have you tried changing the bottled water that you use? Just because it's bottled doesn't mean it doesn't come from their tap. Since you have no control and no idea what their manufacturing process is, perhaps trying a batch with RO water would be an easy enough test to see if it makes a difference. I hate to see you jump through hoops and get more frustrated as I can relate. But since your calculations and everything seem to b ewithin range I would say this would be the easiest route to troubleshooting and then move on from there if it doesn't work.

Best of luck man.

Not sure but this stood out to me.

Have you tried changing the bottled water that you use? Just because it's bottled doesn't mean it doesn't come from their tap. Since you have no control and no idea what their manufacturing process is, perhaps trying a batch with RO water would be an easy enough test to see if it makes a difference. I hate to see you jump through hoops and get more frustrated as I can relate. But since your calculations and everything seem to b ewithin range I would say this would be the easiest route to troubleshooting and then move on from there if it doesn't work.

Best of luck man.

Thanks man, that's not a bad idea.

Just talked to the guy at the LHBS. He asked if I also use bottled water when I dissolve (and then boil) my priming sugar solution. I told him that I use tap water. I know for a fact our water isn't that great...Maybe I'm adding some of that crap (Chlarmadine?) to my wort? Maybe that's what's giving me that metallic finish? Hmmmm

iambeer said:
I was going to post a new thread about this but I don't think it's necessary anymore, because I don't think I need another opinion. I read your document more carefully and while it's from 2001 and well researched, it makes an assumption about how much time it takes to remove chloramine from boiling. This is a quote from the summary: "Chloramine can be removed by boiling though an extended boil may be required. "

In other words, there was no data at the time that showed exactly when it would be removed). My document says it takes 20 minutes of soft boiling.... and it's more recent. So.. we agree now? That according to the San Francisco water company, it takes 20 minutes to remove chloramine from the city water?

The data were in there. I even quoted the figure for you. In addition, every one of the references that I can access list boiling as an ineffective method to remove chloramine. The paper I linked actually tests chloramine levels leading up to and during a boil. Not sure where you think the "assumption" is. In addition, the EPA (you might have heard of them) says this on their site: "Monochloramine can be more difficult to remove from drinking water than
chlorine.
• Boiling water does not remove monochloramine from drinking water"

Note: San Francisco uses monochloramine, as do most municipalities that use chloramine as far as I can tell.

Regardless, this is irrelevant to the OP since he is using bottled water, but you might want to understand what you are talking about before you give others advice counter to the commonly held standards (Palmer says, "Chloramine cannot be removed by boiling and will give a medicinal taste to beer. Chloramine can be removed by running the water through an activated-charcoal filter, or by adding a campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite).")

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled twangy beer.

JeffoC6 said:
Just talked to the guy at the LHBS. He asked if I also use bottled water when I dissolve (and then boil) my priming sugar solution. I told him that I use tap water. I know for a fact our water isn't that great...Maybe I'm adding some of that crap (Chlarmadine?) to my wort? Maybe that's what's giving me that metallic finish? Hmmmm

I can't even believe I am adding to this string with 47 posts already, you are bottling your beer, it is no longer wort.......

It's carbonic acid your dealing with and it was answered this morning in the posts I sent you regarding that, you really need to cut back your priming sugar amount, make sure you are getting a good mix and sample the next batch, only doing 1 gallon batches it shouldn't take you that long as your first step to figuring this out, sheesh!

duboman said:
I can't even believe I am adding to this string with 47 posts already, you are bottling your beer, it is no longer wort.......

It's carbonic acid your dealing with and it was answered this morning in the posts I sent you regarding that, you really need to cut back your priming sugar amount, make sure you are getting a good mix and sample the next batch, only doing 1 gallon batches it shouldn't take you that long as your first step to figuring this out, sheesh!

Wow, not really necessary. I think we are all learning other things. Can't hurt to hash out other ideas. Whatever that abbreviation is, relax and have a homebrew.

:)

Another source of the overcarbing is that somewhere around page 2 you mentioned that you are plugging the warmest temperature you had during fermentation into the calculator. Try using the cooler temperature near the end of fermentation (but while fermentation is still active).

The reason for this suggestion is that gasses dissolve less in warm water than in cool water. So, your calculator is assuming less dissolved CO2 than what is probably really in there. It then tells you to add more sugar than you really need to. The effect isn't huge, but it all adds up.

Another simple thing to save the existing overcarbed beers, just stir them like mad to force the excess CO2 out of solution.

H2CO3 ----(stir like crazy)----> H2O + CO2 (bubbles away and is gone)

You can do this until you get the level right where you like it. I do this with soda all the time because I don't like how super-carbed they usually are.

Most appreciated, YeastHerder. Will take that into consideration. Would you mind checking out the recent thread I just started called "Priming Calculator?" I think I found my problem...

Next time you are ready to bottle, bottle one before you add priming sugar - none at all. Then see if that bottle gives the same flavor. That will tell you for sure if it is an over carb issue.

I'm having what Im guessing is the same nasty taste in all my brews. Still going through the process of elimination to pinpoint the issue.

Good luck!!!

Next time you are ready to bottle, bottle one before you add priming sugar - none at all. Then see if that bottle gives the same flavor. That will tell you for sure if it is an over carb issue.

I'm having what Im guessing is the same nasty taste in all my brews. Still going through the process of elimination to pinpoint the issue.

Good luck!!!

Thanks, that makes sense.

I had a similar taste when I would clean my bottles and fermentor. Now I just rinse and Starsan, skipping the cleaners. Never had contamination and the taste went away. I would try leaving out the B-brite just to see what happens. Since you rinse/dry right after use you should be fine with just sanitizer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/astringency-not-carbonic-bite-343897/

Any other suggestions?

Back