over shot my mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
So I'm currently brewing my first BIAB recipe-Cream of Three Crops Ale. My strike temp was 155 with a mash temp of 147 for 90m. Upon adding my grain I didn't stir enough and wait for an accurate temp reading so I turned the burner back on. After a few min when I stirred again I was at 160.

I don't believe there should be much of an effect. After 40m my temp is back to 147. Am I correct in this assumption? I figure my beer will just have a bit more body then intended. After my mash I still have a 10m mash out with final temp of 168.

Well the difference between 160 and 147 in terms of mashing is pretty large so I'm gonna say there will be a pretty big difference in the end result. Add that in with the fact that most of the conversions occur somewhere in the first 20 minutes or so and you got yourself a pretty unfermentable product so don't be surprised if your FG is higher than you were planning and thus a lower ABV. But don't fret too much. I've just started doing small BIAB batches and have botched a few mashes myself. It will be beer in the end. I think it's important to stir constantly if the heat is on otherwise hot pockets will develop and all the sudden your temp will jump 10 degrees when you do stir it up good. At least that's been my experience.

Yeah I guess we all learn the hard way sooner or later. Plus im on beer #5 starting the boil so I'm not worried about much besides what beer 6 will be

Well when all said and done I got a OG of 1.054 (1.047 estimated) so not too bad. Efficiency was just over 66% so that could use a little work. Only other problem I ran into was more water loss than I had calculated but I topped off with 0.5gal of bottled water.

I'm pretty satisfied with my first AG session.

On another note: This was the first time I whirlpooled and it failed miserably most since my pot started floating once it starting getting empty. I assume I should cool my pot next time, remove from the water, then whirlpool?

EDIT: Realized I forgot to switch my pre-boil volume in Beersmith. Eff was about 79%

Back