Over pressurized kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
I recently got my Co2 tank refilled. When I connect the kegs, turn on the gas and set it to 5 psi it shoots up to 50 psi within minutes. I'll bleed the kegs, reset and it'll do the exact same thing.

I'm hoping theres something thats an easy fix and my regulator isn't broken. Please help me!

+1 Regulator issue. When you bleed is it pretty obvious they are at 50 psi, like crazy loud blast? Your gauge could also be incorrect as well, if it is in fact 5 psi and reading as 50

Yes, bleeding the kegs blows out a lot more pressure than usual. The relief valve on the regulator is also full of a lot of pressure, just lightly tapping it sets it off.

Sounds like some gunk got in the regulator and is obstructing the diaphragm...

I think I fixed it!

I followed the instructions in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqbtmem1Pi0 and just cleaned out the diaphragm and housing. There wasnt really anything in it to clean but there was a tiny bit of metal shavings so maybe that was enough to do it because the regulator seems to be working now. I set it yesterday evening and its still at 8 psi this morning.

Back