Over pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Now that winter is here and the outside temperatures hover around -25c I've had to move my brewing inside. In order to do this I'm making 2.5 gallon batches instead of 5. When I scale down my recipe it tells me to pitch half a package of dry yeast. Would I be causing any damage by using the whole package? Seems silly to try to rehydrate half a pack when they are only 3-4 dollars might as well just throw the whole bugger in.

You'll be fine, in my opinion. I think you have to seriously over pitch to cause problems.

I do 2.5 gallon batches and always pitch the whole package. Underpitching can cause lots more trouble than over-pitching, so I err on the "over" side.

Yeah, but adding half the pack to 2.5-3 gallons isn't underpitching. That's pretty much the correct pitch rate.

That being said, pitching the whole pack is only a 2x overpitch, so no harm will come to your beer.

I'm just cheap - I pitch half-packs and save the other half in a zip-top bag in the fridge for the next batch.

:)

Yeah, but you need a scale accurate to a tenth of a gram if you want to split 11g in two. I brew fairly infrequently, so even if I do get a real 50/50 split, who knows what condition the second half will be in by the time I use it?

I am cheap about many things, but I figure I can afford to overpitch.

I have used yeast, opened & stored in the fridge, over two months later. It acted just like the first half of the pack.

:)

Thanks for the replies guys! Didn't think it would be a problem but figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Back