Over One burner or Two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonTerry

Reaction score
10 gallon pot.
Gas stove.

What's the thinking? Is it better to get all the heat from one burner or most of two?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

With a gas stove should I just look at how much flaim is Hitting the bottom? I.e. Surface area?

I personally can not get a full boil going on one burner on my stove.

My brewpot is wide enough that if I place it between two burners, it covers about 3/4 of each burner and then I am able to get a nice rolling boil. Heats up faster too.

I have an awesome kitchen stove, and I can bring 6.5 gallons to a boil. I don't think I could get a bigger volume boiling, though. So, my advice is to do whatever it takes! Most people can't boil that much on their kitchen stove, so we're lucky I guess.

Exactly my situation, two burners. However, due do that fact that the burners are not completely under the pot the flame rides up the side to some degree. I like to have the burner on and fill the pot as I sparge so it doesn't take so long to bring to a boil. But until there is a few gallons I use just one burner. The flame riding up will scorch the wort on the insides if the volume is too low.

I personally can not get a full boil going on one burner on my stove.

My brewpot is wide enough that if I place it between two burners, it covers about 3/4 of each burner and then I am able to get a nice rolling boil. Heats up faster too.

This is what I do.

I've actually started doing my strike and sparge water inside rather than outside in order to save propane.

I have a 20 gallon pot that I heat all of my water in at once.

I'm able to just barely cover two burners with my 8 gallon kettle... I haven't tried with only one, but I can imagine it would take forever to boil... My next project is to build a heat-stick, I plan on using that to assist the stove and hopefully speed up the time to boil.

I use the stove to heat the water for the mash. I have 42qt and I use two burners. I am not sure if I can get a rolling boil on it yet. I do have a Banjo burner that does the trick just in case

My gas stove has a "Power Burner" Dont know what the BTUs are but it kicks butt and will give 5 gallons of wort a nice boil. I use it in the summer when its 105 outside.

So, my advice is to do whatever it takes!

Exactly, one, two...heatstick...whatever it takes. Wish I saved the picture, but I recall a guy doing a stovetop keggle with the aid of a heatstick on the crappiest, cheap little stove. It was pretty funny.

All depends on the width of the pot and the stove. Get busy and try it, the answer will be self evident.

It sounds like someone needs to come up with an oval shaped pot that is designed to sit and cover two burners.

Latest posts

Back