Over hyped beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Second time having a Rogue Dead Guy Ale...about as impressed as the first time.What is the draw to clone this?

Funny you should identify Dead Guy. I haven't had it in a few years, but did quite like it back then. I wonder if it has changed? I'm sure my taste buds have evolved. I can say that hills farmstead has ruined me since then. I am enjoying more hop forward and less darker crystal of late. Tastes are an interesting thing, and we home brewers can learn a lot with the craft. Never mind the hype, brew to your tastes, with confidence!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would go with Dark Lord... Is it a good beer? Yes, with 100 different things going on at once. My buddy and I split a 2011 during a football game and I was excited about its rarity. Would I drink it again, yes. Would I spend 40$ on a bottle, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Heady topper. Don't get me wrong, great beer... but I get folks asking for it at the liquor store all the time just because they heard about it from so-and-so. There are so many other worthy beers out there no one touts. It just makes me feel like lazy beer lovers are half-assing the experience of broadening their horizons and just want to go in for the kill.

Pliny is overhyped. Heady, overhyped. Sure, they're good beers, just overhyped.

I was unaware Dead Guy was hyped at all...

I thought Abyss was overhyped, but I'm sure it will be very good after cellaring a couple years. Definitely Pliny. Good beer yes. Top 5 in the world, hell no. Heady Topper is pretty amazing.

Also, hunapu from cigar city. Their white oak jai lai however is excellent.

Anything you can't get where you live.

When my dad owned a bar, people used to smuggle coors by the semi truck load from across the Mississippi.

When I got out of college it was Fat Tire, and Krispy Cremes people were driving a couple hundred miles to get.

Now its anything with limited distribution from the left coast if you live on the right or vise versa

If you area brewery the smartest thing you can do is limit the distribution of your product. People crave what they can not have.

I just plain don't like Mad Elf. Tastes like cough syrup to me.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

I have to agree with the pliny overhyped. I just moved to SD from a place where pliny was literally impossible to find, and I've been looking to get it since forever. when I finally got my hands on some, I was a bit underwhelmed. It was definitely a good beer, But the hype was bigger than the beer. I would for sure get it if I saw it around but I wouldn't go out of my way for it again. Never had HT though

Dirty Hippie from Palisade Brewing. Its about the only tap craft beer in town. Nasty dark wheat beer. Tastes worse than hippie shower water after a phish concert.

I have to agree with the pliny overhyped. I just moved to SD from a place where pliny was literally impossible to find, and I've been looking to get it since forever. when I finally got my hands on some, I was a bit underwhelmed. It was definitely a good beer, But the hype was bigger than the beer. I would for sure get it if I saw it around but I wouldn't go out of my way for it again. Never had HT though

HT is pretty much the same experience.

I'm becoming turned off by commercial beer in general.

Not to be an elitist dick but I don't bother with any of these beers y'all are talking about. The beer I make at home is just as good or better than anything I've ever paid for and I just don't get the idea of getting jacked up because something is hard to find. I don't believe any hype about any beer. When Stone is charging 12$ for a sixer of a 4.5% "IPA" and Dogfishhead is charging 16$ for a 4 pack of fermented Ancient Unicorn Tears I just shut down and don't want to be bothered at all with any of it.

Don't believe the hype!!!!

/hatersgonnahate

I would have to say Hopslam. It is very good, but not worth 18 bucks a six pack. I'm just as satisfied with Lagunitas Sucks. And it's half the price.

When I get Pliny in on trade, I give it away as gifts to people who haven't had it and I know want to try it. The pleasure of doing that is much greater than the pleasure of drinking it.

I'll second the mad elf cough syrup thing.

I agree on Pliny.

Heady T, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's Finest are three of Vermont's gems. I think the hype around these three breweries has grown organically. They just can't make enough, nor do they want to and can't supply the country with enough beer. Vermont is unique in keeping things mostly local and close to the source.

Had a Three Flyods Zombie Dust earlier this month at a brew club meeting and that however did meet the hype somewhat.Than again i could just drive three miles down the road and fill my growler with a DRIPA from Kuhnhenn.

IMO, we need to be careful accusing a beer being over hyped. Particularly a hoppy beer that has done some
traveling. You can't know what has happened to it. I have had a Pliny at a restaurant and it was pretty bad.
I have had a few Plinys at Russian River and they where great. For me, drinking a hoppy beer from the cradle
(berth brewery) is the acid test.

Once again a thread about what people don't like. If you don't like a beer don't buy it, don't drink it, don't brew it.

Yeah. All this negatively is getting pretty old considering the choices that are out there these days. Beer taste is constantly changing from the first week it was brewed until the day it is drank. Our palates change depending on what we have eaten or what our mood is. Bud Light will always taste better from a cooler at a tail gate. Beer from a tasting room will be very different than a beer that has gone through temperature swings. The good news is that there are enough beers to go around so you don't have to drink it if you don't want to.
I heard if anyone else starts another thread about overhyped beers they will get an infected homebrew. Go back to 2010 in this forum and you will find some of the best answers to just about any question. Fast forward to today and it's a bunch of whiney threads about hipsters, beer snobs, and over hyped beer.

KBS is way over hyped, doesn't stop me from getting it every year and enjoying it, but I have to be put on a list at the local beer store just to get some..... Just grabbed some this morning ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395933421.751551.jpg

In those same old threads are people like you wining about this type of thread starting. Kind of like the "If you don't like the beer, don't buy it". If you don't like the thread, don't reply to it. Enjoy it constantly refreshing in your feed though now.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Never said i disliked the beer...Ironic part is i have a post from a year ago about using hibiscus in beer with 0 responses but this thread blew up.People just love to hate people for the wrong reasons before actually reading in between the lines.I would buy Dead Guy ale again i think it is a solid beer just not as high on my go to list.

Dragon's Milk by New Holland. The most over-hyped beer in the state of Michigan.

Once again a thread about what people don't like. If you don't like a beer don't buy it, don't drink it, don't brew it.

Amen. This place has really seen a rash of hating. It's almost always stems from sour grapes of someone NOT being able to readily get a beer IMHO, and also IMHO, it's time for people to get their head around the idea that no matter where you live there will be great beers you can get, and great beers you CAN'T get.

My perfect beer world is one where everyone buys the best beer from the brewery closest to them and stops hating on the brewery across the country for making beer that they can't get.

IDK, it's a beer discussion in the General Beer Discussion forum. I'm not seeing too much hate, just opinions.

My 2¢, Hopslam is very over-rated. I've only had this years batch, so maybe vintages are different, but it had almost NO hop aroma. Very good, but not an IIPA IMHO.

I would have been the poster who subscribes to making my own beer all the time, I have a high opinion of it myself, until I had Hill Farmstead last year. That was a humbling experience....

KCCO Black Lager by Resignation Brewery (contract brewed by Redhook).

I swear, some people will buy anything with a "The Chive" logo on it and swear it's the greatest thing ever.

Yeah. All this negatively is getting pretty old considering the choices that are out there these days. Beer taste is constantly changing from the first week it was brewed until the day it is drank. Our palates change depending on what we have eaten or what our mood is. Bud Light will always taste better from a cooler at a tail gate. Beer from a tasting room will be very different than a beer that has gone through temperature swings. The good news is that there are enough beers to go around so you don't have to drink it if you don't want to.
I heard if anyone else starts another thread about overhyped beers they will get an infected homebrew. Go back to 2010 in this forum and you will find some of the best answers to just about any question. Fast forward to today and it's a bunch of whiney threads about hipsters, beer snobs, and over hyped beer.

Wtf are you talking about? There wasn't any negativity in this thread until your post. It was a very civil conversation until hypocrites came and hated on this thread for supposedly 'hating' on overhyped beer, which no one was doing.

Two Hearted Ale. Had someone bring some down to Texas. Though it could be from faded hopiness. Will need to try from the brewery some day to be sure.

Wtf are you talking about? There wasn't even any negativity in this thread until your post. It was a very civil conversation until hypocrites came and hated on this thread for supposedly 'hating' on overhyped beer, which no one was doing.

Calling something overhyped sounds pretty negative to me.

Go back to 2010 in this forum and you will find some of the best answers to just about any question. Fast forward to today and it's a bunch of whiney threads about hipsters, beer snobs, and over hyped beer.

Yet you joined in 2012....

Back