Over carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
I was force carbing last week and forgot to bump the gas back down. I left it at 30psi for 6 days. Last night I shut off the gas, bleed the gas off the keg, and then put it back on the gas at 12psi. When I pour a pint it comes out 95% head. What is going on, and how can I fix this?

What temp is the beer at? How long are your beer lines? After you let the foam subside is it extremely prickly carbonated?

Chances are it is overcarbed, you will need to take the keg out of the fridge and burp it daily for a few days

It is at 43 degrees. My lines are about three feet long, maybe a little less. No, after the foam goes down, it does not taste extremely carbonated, which is weird to me.

I will take it out and burp for a few days to see if that helps.

Ok, well for a lot people 3 ft is on the short side. I would complete burp/degas the keg and then try and pour a bit (it will be real slow), see if it comes out ok and how the carbonation level is. If it is perfectly fine then it may be a line length thing. Check out the chart here. I am not sure on the exacts but I think it takes 2-3 weeks for the set and forget method to reach equilibrium. So at 43* at 6 days of 30psi I would think you probably got 2/3 of the way towards the 3.91 volumes suggested by the chart which would put you somewhere around 2.6 volumes.

Thats a pure guestimate though on the current volumes.

I have not had a problem with any of my other beers on this kegerator. I usually put this style at 12psi and its all good after force carbing at 30psi for two days.

Back