over carbonated bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBB829

Reaction score
I have made about 15 batchs of home brew. All the beer taste great but most of the beer is coming out overcarbonated. I am using the Grolsh 16oz bottles. I have done both extract and all grain. The Bottles will at a minimum give a load pop when opened, and one even dislodged the attached cap from the bottle. Some of the batches will pour out of the bottle all head. after a time it will settled down and I can pour more in the glass a little at a time. I am using the premeasured priming sugar that either came with the kit or bought at the store. My only thought was that when I was filling the bottles with either to much or to little headspace. Thank for the help in advance

I'm curious, are you keeping these bottles in the fridge for a good while before opening them? Also, I'm assuming the beer tastes perfectly fine- no signs of infection. Have you had any bottle bombs?

Yes the beer taste great no infections I can tell. some of these are a minimum of 6 weeks fermentation up to 9 months since bottling. along the way it has been consumed a bottle or two at a time. Beer is stored at 68 degrees (all ales no lagers) then bottles are put in the fridge normally overnight but a few put in the freezer ( I was thirsty). same result

i can only guess that you didn't have 5 gallons at the end so the priming sugar that's pre-measured is still too much sugar.

because if the beer tastes fine its not an infection so the only other source would be an incomplete primary. 6 weeks seems like enough time, but the only way to know is the gravity readings.

what was the gravity at bottling? and the original gravity?

I used the amount and type include in kits

I did that with an imperial ale. Kit included 5 ounces for 5 gallons, which I now know was too much and they are extremely carbonated. I think 3 would have been about right.

Palmer suggests venting and recapping all of the bottles to solve this problem. I have not personally tried yet but plan on doing it to a few bottles and see what happens. Can anybody else speak to this as being a good solution?

I am glad I read this. I just bottled a DFH 60 minute IPA clone. I used the full packet of priming sugar that came with the kit. I bottled less than 4.5 gallons, so I am assuming that it was too much sugar. I will use this as an excuse to drink a couple early to be sure they aren't over-carbonated.

Back