Over Carbonated Bottle Condition...HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingum

Reaction score
I’ve been doing extract brewing for the past year or so and I’m about to make the jump up to all-grain. After fermentation is complete, I bottle condition the beer. It doesn’t really matter whether I condition at room temperature or lager at cooler temperatures or let the beer mature for several days to several months, I always end up with beer that has the carbonation consistency of soda. The beer is very bubbly and it foams up a lot with big bubbles only to die out within 10-20 seconds. Here are the basic procedures I follow:

- I use a mixture of 12oz and 1 L bottles
- 12 oz bottles = 1 teaspoon sugar (1/6 oz of sugar)
- 1 L = 2.5 teaspoons sugar (5/12 oz of sugar or 0.41 oz)
- I let the bottle sit for about a minute before capping it to let CO2 push out the air
- Store it in a cool dark place (65°F) for about 2 – 4 weeks depending on beer
- Chill in fridge for at least a week before drinking

I’d like to get a head on the beer that hangs around a little longer ( I typically make heavier stouts and lagers). Any suggestions?

PS – When I upgrade I’m planning on purchasing a 5 gallon corney and force carbonate.

I would not do it that way, I would combine the sugar with the brew "then" bottle it. I know some guys use carb tabs, etc but I find it much more consistent to just sugar up the entire batch in the bottling bucket!

It sounds like you're using wayyyy to much sugar. I agree w/ Taipans that you should combine in a bottling bucket before bottling. Take all the sugar you intend to use, mix it with a cup of boiling water until dissolved, then swirl the beer (with a sanitized spoon) after you rack it to the bucket, bottle and cap as normal!

The way you're doing it I think you're risking bottle bombs

1. Prime the whole batch in the bottling bucket.
2. Calculate the amount of priming sugar needed based on the desired level of carbonation, the temperature of the beer, and the volume of beer:
KotMF: Priming Sugar Calculator
Make sure you set it to "table sugar" if you're not using corn sugar/dextrose.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm bottling a batch this weekend (cherry lager) and I'll try this method.

Back