Outside the box uses for Wheat Malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a while since I was a regular on HBT.

I'm wondering if any of you have tried making outside the box wheat beers. Pilsner styles IPA's etc, but with wheat heavy grain bills. Also traditional wheat styles but hopped up NA style.

I have a **** ton of malted wheat as I didn't catch that I double ordered wheat when I should have ordered pale or pils malt. I have 3 25kg bags of wheat and no base barely. I do have 1.5 bags of honey malt and half a bag of munich 10, some crystal 60 and crystal 80. (I swear I have half a bag of munich 30 somewhere but I can't find it!)

So; outside the traditional yeasts/adjuncts, can wheat hold it's own against a pils or pale malt if used as a replacement for pils/pale malts in IPA's, stouts, pils, etc?

Thoughts/experiences?

I've been dying to try a wheat lager (kristal). I'm thinking roughly 50/50 Wheat/Pils malt. Treat at I would any other lager. I want it clear too.

I remember back when craft brewing was just getting going and the Frankenmuth brewery made a kristal wheat. I don't know if it was brewed as an ale or a lager, but I really liked that beer. Seemed awfully lager like.

Latest posts

Back