Outlet placement feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I still haven't decided what my next system will be beyond that I need a 240 outlet installed. I was hoping for feedback and ideas. This is my brew garage. The panel for the house is on the right. I was thinking it would be easy to have it installed to the right of the panel towards the garage door. I brew near the door now for ventilation. A good reason for this location is that wall is an outside wall and I could have a window installed with maybe a small AC unit. Without the window I think I will want to be right at the garage door to let the steam escape, otherwise I'd put it right near the panel and spare the drywall damage. Should I also get another 120 outlet installed for the future? Any other ideas?

View attachment 1442872721182.jpg

Stick a box fan on the top shelf in the back, set it to high and plug it into a surge protector or extension cord so you can just turn it on and off easily.

Point it towards your brewing area and you should be fine...you shouldnt have drywall issues if your blowing it out the garage door.

A window would be nice with a window fan, and you could crack your garage door open a little, if needed for wintertime / privacy.

An AC unit would help for all but the boiling phase, I would guess.

Several ways to solve this. If your rig is mobile (on a cart) then you can get a long enough SJ cord to reach the outlet and brew by the garage. I do this and have fans above my BK to blow the steam out of the garage. Works well enough.

You could also mount a hood of some sort above your kettle and use a flexible duct to pipe it down to the garage door, where you would only need to open the door slightly. Or vent it into your attic if open above, though this is not a great idea unless you get the duct above a soffit vent.

-BD

-BD

Thanks for the feedback so far. I was mostly wondering if anyone else brewed in a single car garage like me and had different suggestions for placement of the outlet.

Having the ability to open the door to vent steam makes me think the most logical place to brew is by the door, so the outlet needs to be close by. If I were brave enough to install a vent hood and a new stack on the roof, and then add a window, I could climate control the garage in the Texas summer and then pick a spot near the sink. But that's a lot of work.

Any advice on installing extra plugs besides the 240 while the electrician is opening up the wall? I don't think I really need it. Plus it might be better to wait to see if I do add a window and want to put in a fan or window AC unit. I'm just trying to think of all options before drywall is tore apart.

I would figure out your layout first before you ask to have any outlets installed. Outlets serve your brewing setup, so figure out the brewing setup and where it goes first, not the other way around.

Kal

I would figure out your layout first before you ask to have any outlets installed. Outlets serve your brewing setup, so figure out the brewing setup and where it goes first, not the other way around.

Kal

Great point. I thought about that more but I don't think I have much choice. Had I known I would be considering this back when the house was built I would have probably planned for a work area and vent hood by the sink along the back wall and not done the elfa shelving back there. I now brew near the door where the bricks surround my burner and this has worked well for venting and protection from rain. I think I'm stuck brewing near the door. My only other option would be along the right wall but only if I had that window installed. In order to brew without the window I think I need to be close to that same spot where I brew now.

The top 3 contenders so far should all work in that spot. The dream system would be a @kal clone but I think that's more than my skills or budget can manage. Next would be the BrewBoss or the Down Under from Colorado Brewing (see pic below). The theelectricbrewery.com or BrewBoss are most flexible since the table is built how I want/need. The Down Under isn't as flexible but appears to be something I can move without too much issue.

Either way I think you're right and first I need to pick the system. Thanks for the help with the thought process. Driving myself crazy trying to decide so it helps to sound things out with those who've done it before. :ban:

IMG_1503.JPG

If it were me,(I actually park my car in my garage (except right now, project in the works)) I would move some of the shelving to the right wall. I would then make a vent hood and position the brewery on the back wall where the chest freezer is now. Once in place it would remain there. So the electrical would be on the right wall to the left of the circuit box.

That would have your sink and brewery all within an easy working space. Plus being on the back wall you should be able to get the car in there also, not having to move everything around before and after a brew day.

If it were me,(I actually park my car in my garage (except right now, project in the works)) I would move some of the shelving to the right wall. I would then make a vent hood and position the brewery on the back wall where the chest freezer is now. Once in place it would remain there. So the electrical would be on the right wall to the left of the circuit box.

That would have your sink and brewery all within an easy working space. Plus being on the back wall you should be able to get the car in there also, not having to move everything around before and after a brew day.

We actually have another 2 car garage for the vehicles. Early in the home search process the wife was kind enough to let me have the spare garage for brewing. Truth be told I think she liked putting my stuff out of the way.

Back