Outlet-Inlet Location on Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFishBrewing

Reaction score
I had a good response on a previous post and I have ordered a chugger pump with the center inlet.

Next question - My drain valve is 3 1/2 inches from the outside bottom of my keggle (boil kettle). How many inches above the drain will I place the pump outlet for the most effective whirpool? I occasionally brew 5 gallon batches so I know to place the inlet below the lowest point of the boil but is there an optimum height above the outlet? Can the whirlpool be controlled by the angle of the side pick up on the inlet?

Any other hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In my opinion, as long as it is below the level of the liquid to prevent aeration, you should be good. You don't need huge movement to get the desired effect, this goes for both an immersion chiller to reduce stratification, as well as whirlpooling to develop a cone of trub in the center. As for the hardware attachment point, I would just make sure that it is at the highest point possible so that you hopefully don't have to worry about sealing or cleaning it.

Latest posts

Back