outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewjay

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues brewing outdoors with bacteria or infections in their batch? jw this weekend will be my first brew and i will be using a 30 qt turkey fryer i picked up yesterday. Just wanted to know if anyone has seen any issues. Thanks:mug:

A lot of people brew outside without issues. Just continue to practice sanitation and you'll be fine. Welcome to the addiction! I mean Hobby!

Don't brew under a tree, I had a leaf fall in. I think there's just as much bacteria indoors as outdoors if not more. Good luck and have fun!:mug:

i have not brewed outside yet, but my buddy does all the time and never has had an issue. i want to start brewing outside as you can get the wort up to temp faster and since i have an electric stove inside it makes it easier to control the temp with a real flame. the one thing he does do is put a table in his garage and sanitizes it to lay everything out on. dont just lay the stuff on a picnic table or something and you will be good! happy brewing! :mug:

The one time I actually chilled outside instead of in my basement I had a small leaf fall into my chilled wort JUST before taking it inside. I was really nervous and like usual, my fretting was for nothing. Just do your best to minimize anything nasty getting in and pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast and you will be fine.

I usually throw a clean towel or something over the brew kettle after I've cooled to ~170. Anything falling in shouldn't be an issue with that kind of heat. I siphon from the covered kettle in to a covered fermenter.

I would say everyone on this forum that is not brewing partial boil, small batches, or all electric is most likely brewing outdoors and has been for a long time! I have made all of my batches outdoors to this point and all have been fine.

I brew outside with no issues, brewing now in fact! I think other than good chemical sanitation practices, pitching the right amount of yeast is the best thing you can do to prevent contaminated batches.

Good luck and have fun!!

We freaked out a little bit when we did our first outside boil, but it turned out all good. If its windy, we cover about 3/4 of the kettle with the lid to keep out Texas dust and such but thats about the only real precaution we take. That, and making sure the chairs are comfortable :)

Back