Out of Date Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetestisover

Reaction score
I've had a lot of trouble with out of date beers in my area.

I got a Magic Hat Winter Seasonal from one store and discovered when I got home it was from last year! Luckily they let me exchange for some other stuff.

But just tonight I got a six pack of Dogfish Head 60min and a 6er of Rio Blanco's Fireman's #4 (a local TX brewery) and both were out of date. The 60min was brewed on 05/05/09 and the Fireman's #4 went out of date on 11/24/09.

Is there any way to go about being compensated? Or something? Great breweries.. but this isn't acceptable (I'm blaming the distributor tbh)

Umm...beer doesn't really expire. Last year's winter warmer probably just came into its own this year. A DFH 60 brewed in May would be outstanding in December. As for the "out of date" pale ale - what, exactly, did the label say?

I don't think there is a way to be compensated...nor should there be.

...beer doesn't go out of date? Not everything ages well.. anything that isn't high in alcohol content really shouldn't be aged is what I've read.

The Real Ale was cloudy; it smelled and tasted sour.

The Dogfish Head tasted sour and smelled off. This is one of my favorites.. I know how it should taste.

The sampler tasted off as well.. I had tried a few of the beers previously and they just tasted bad this time.

Sorry, but there is bad beer. Beer does go out of date..

If a DFH 60 can't make it through 5 months of aging, DFH should go out of business.

I've had the Real Ale #4. It pours with a bit of chill haze.

It sounds like your distributor may be storing the beer poorly. Again, what EXACTLY do the bottles say that make you think that they are "out of date?"

Additionally, if you're buying beer that is clearly marked "best before XXX date," then you have to take some responsibility as a consumer. For example, I wouldn't buy a gallon of milk that was a month past its "sell by date," then demand compensation from the dairy. Instead, it would be my inattention to detail that cost me a few dollars and some sour milk. I might, however, complain to the store that their supply does not meet my expectations.

Its not a chill haze.. I let it sit out and poured 3 different bottles.

The Dogfish Head says it was bottled on 05/05/09. I' much less owrried about this than the Fireman's #4... it's bad no doubt. It says drink by 11/24/09 but even still could just be a bad 6er.. skunked.

Someone in the distribution chain is messing up. DFH should be good for a year past the bottling date and skunking is not an age problem. But a week at 100+F will trash most beers and you do live in Texas.

Its not a chill haze.. I let it sit out and poured 3 different bottles.

The Dogfish Head says it was bottled on 05/05/09. I' much less owrried about this than the Fireman's #4... it's bad no doubt. It says drink by 11/24/09 but even still could just be a bad 6er.. skunked.

lol, it went bad 9 days ago and you're worried about it? If it's skunked, that sucks. The DFH (or anything with a lot of hops) should hold well for a while (hops were originally just used in beer as a preservative). But seriously, 9 days past expiration is not a big deal. I hate people who overreact to exp dates; it's a "suggested" drink by date. I do prefer to get things that are still "in date" (unless it's a delicious imperial beer that would be good for aging), but 9 days isn't a big deal and the DFH is fine lol.

I'm sorry, but even if a beer does hold up well to aging and I want an aged beer then I will do it myself under my conditions. I don't trust the EZ Chek next door to handle my beer for that long properly. I also want my Dogfish Head 60min. to be hoppy.. these beers weren't because it had been so long since they had been bottled.

And I didn't look at the bottled on date until I had already noticed the beer was very off... it's not like it was the first thing I checked.

I'm just going to go to the store that's a little bit further but where the beer is always well-stocked. This shouldn't happen imo

I just want to be satisfied with two beers which I buy and love regularly.. these weren't right. What is so hard to understand about that?

Back