out of curiosity..just late addition hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'll probably try it no matter what, but for a little chit-chat....

i've got 3lb's of cascade hops, i think something like 4% AA....i usually go for chinook, or some high AA in the 12-14% range....

what do you think if i skip bitter, and just use this cascade like 3 oz's at flameout in a 10 gallon batch, just to get these used up....

i'm pretty sure it would still have the antimicrobial properties, because i've just used dry hopping for that before....

i guess what i'm asking what would i expect?

How fast is the cool down from boil to 170F-ish?

i usually go from ~200f (4500ft elevation) to 80 in 20-30 minutes or so...you thinking it'd be better as a 10 minute addition....(i'm trying to figure out how to use them up, and if there not good for bittering....massive amounts of late additions)

I made a beer once with hops just at flameout. They were leftover previously-opened 1 oz bags of stuff that I just wanted to clear out. I used just under 3 oz of hops for a 2.5 gallon batch. No whirlpooling or anything, just dropped them in at the same time I cut the heat. Chilled to pitch temperature in about 20-30 minutes.

It had the most amazing hop aroma and flavor, I was converted that this was a great way to get tons of hop flavor without any bitterness. One week later, it was greatly reduced, but still good. One week later again and all the hop flavor & aroma were gone.

My learnings were this was a good way to add certain characteristic, but as only hop addition, it was lacking.

I've also done a beer that only had hops in whirlpool, where I held temperature at 170F and recirculated wort through kettle with 3 oz of hops for 25 minutes. That was a success. I got some level of bitterness, but no harsh bite at all. Flavor and aroma lasted through the whole batch until gone.

most of my kegs kick in 4 days.....i have no way to hold the temp at 170f....i'd have to cool it, then heat it a few times....would you think it was worth the difference if that was the case? :mug:

you thinking it'd be better as a 10 minute addition
No opinion at the moment on the 10 minute boil idea.

I've done a couple of "hop steeps" in the 190F range for around 20 minutes and pick up plenty of bitterness. This goes back to a BBR episode (11/1/18) where the preliminary data suggests that pellet hops may get to work pretty quickly. The data also seems to confirm some of the findings in "experimental brewings" "The IBU is a Lie (Kind of)"

A variation of BBR's "Hop Sampler" approach (heat the wort to a boil, add the hops, remove from heat, let it sit for 30 minutes, chill) could be interesting. If the wort goes from 200F to 180F in 20 minutes, it appears that one would get a noticable amount of IBUs (bitterness).

wort goes from 200F to 180F in 20 minutes,

i could do a few batches with the IC with a slow flow to slow it down......i'm shooting for more aroma/flavor because these are so low AA, wondering if i'm wasting them trying to use them for bittering....hell could always just dry hop, but usually i prefer the flavor if their at least med-rare.....

Sorry, previous post was a good answer to the wrong question.

i could do a few batches with the IC with a slow flow to slow it down......i'm shooting for more aroma/flavor because these are so low AA, wondering if i'm wasting them trying to use them for bittering....hell could always just dry hop, but usually i prefer the flavor if their at least med-rare.....
it's likely that you'll lose a lot of the aroma/flavor that you are looking for with a 180-190F hop steep.

it's likely that you'll lose a lot of the aroma/flavor that you are looking for with a 180-190F hop steep.

so if i'm shooting for this, is it about the same temp 135f-140f? ;)
medrare.jpg

but in my case with out the sear on the outside.....

i thought i'd revive this instead post a new thread....i have a dillema, my last batch (10 gallons), i added 6 oz's of hops at about 5-10 minutes left on the boil....

i'm not sure if that's why it looks cloudy, or the fact i didn't deculm my malt......i'd have to say, it's not a good look for a brown ale! (i think someone else had that problem!)

but i've never even tried to brew a NEIPA, but i have brewed with malt that i was to lazy to deculm before, and it wasn't cloudy like this...in fact i didn't really tell much of a difference......why i thought i'd let this slide.....

i usually go from ~200f (4500ft elevation) to 80 in 20-30 minutes or so...you thinking it'd be better as a 10 minute addition....(i'm trying to figure out how to use them up, and if there not good for bittering....massive amounts of late additions)
Lol'd at the 3oz/10 gallons as a massive late addition :D
Based on recipes I've seen here you could probably use 2lbs up in a 10 gallon batch!

I give you credit for trying man !

it's not a total loss, both kegs are getting dumped back into the fermenter on the yeast cake, and i'll dope it up with sugar for "filtering", and i should be able to get 4 kegs of hard lemonaid out of the two kegs of the dumpper, waste not, want not!

Back