Our take on the weldless single tier (Picture and detail intensive)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score

I wanted this thread to be as comprehensive as possible, documenting the progress of our brewstand build. This forum absolutely has everything that you need to know to built an effective brewstand, but many of the technical details are buried deep within threads. Also, for what some people might consider common knowledge, it is arcane to others. Gloss over the details if they aren't relevant to you and ignore my super pithy descriptions.

My girlfriend and I have been brewing for 5 years or so, starting with prehopped extract kits, and quickly coming to the all grain dark side (She took these pictures, mostly). Up until now we have been using a SP10 burner which has been great, but the constant lifting is a pain even for someone in the early 20's. Fueled by the brewstand fervor on this forum, and my natural inclination to take on projects completely beyond my abilities we decided to build a brewstand to handle 10-15 gallon batches.

We wanted to go weldless for a few reasons:
1. I can't weld. Don't have the money to buy one to learn, or to hire someone.
2. Hiring someone to weld it takes out the DIY aspect for me
3. The stand has to be able to be dismantled since a cross country move is a possibility and my car is small.
4. I have most of the tools already.

While there are a number of people making weldless brewstands using slotted steel from McMaster-Carr (Wallace), I didn't like the idea of burning galvanized metal, and I feel like a brewstand should be personal expression – using a cookie cutter solution didn't appeal.

Instead we used bed frames, an idea inspired by bobby_M's overbrook brewstand. We were able to drive around town for an hour or two and salvage some from communal dumpsters in apartment complexes. We needed three for our design. Free is good.

I'd never used an angle grinder, but needed something to cut the metal bed frames. I opted for a 20$ angle grinder from harbor freight (on sale) pictured above. You can get it cheaper, but I wanted the added feature of a paddle switch. If for some reason I dropped the grinder, it wouldn't keep running.

Then I cut them up, somewhat haphazardly. Using the grinder is really invigorating but I was convinced the cutting disk would shatter and I'd end up with a piece in my jugular. Didn't happen, and now we have cool pictures with sparks. Note the high precision cutting technique, as well as my expert redirection of the sparks into my shin. No issues with the grinder dying as some people have had with HF grinders.

Clamped the pieces together and drilled. If your bolting this stuff together, you need to compensate for for slight bending of the angle iron once you tighten the bolts. Clamping tightly is important, otherwise you'll end up with a crooked stand. Be prepared to drill a ton of holes. I went through two bits, and a can of cutting oil. It's not difficult, but a drill press would make things much easier (I used a hand drill).

Since this is weldless, it was important to plan out how the iron would lay together. We decided the longer sections of the stand would be the outer layer, cross supports the middle, and uprights mated to these pieces on the inside. This makes it so the uprights themselves bear all the weight instead of just the bolts. Look at the completed stand to illustrate this.

We used 1/4” fine thread hex bolts that were 1/2” long. We started using 1” bolts, but they collided with eachother at some of the joints.

This is the top portion of the stand, cut and fitted. 54” long and 16” wide to hold a keggle. We wanted a few inches of space between each keggle for heat and weight distribution as well as aesthetics.

Scored a Yeungling keg also. Using the same angle grinder, I tried to cut the top using a jig without much luck. Scrapped the jig and just freehanded the cut.

For reference, heres the keg placed on the stand. You might have already guessed that since the long sections and cross sections are mated together instead of level, the keg will wobble. Our solution was to add some fins on each of the cross sections to compensate, shown later.

The next step was to dismantle it completely, and prep each section to be painted. I used a steel wire brush to remove all of the paint as well as any rust that accumulated. No pictures since the process was monotonous and took a few hours.

Each piece was cleaned with denatured alcohol and then painted with this grill paint. I wanted to use a high temperature engine enamel, but it has to be oven cured which would have been difficult with the 54” pieces. Also, in contrast to some other people, I think the flat finish of the paint looks classy.

We used 8 harbor freight casters rated at 275 lb each. Maybe it's overkill, but I was concerned since the mounting plates were larger than the width of the angle iron, so only three bolts are holding it. They were also only $4.50 each on sale, so why not? We used 5/16” hex bolts for these since they fit more snugly. They also share the bolt connecting two pieces of the angle iron.

Next we tackled the propane manifold. A lot of designs have deadspace and extra piping – I wanted to eliminate this. These are the parts used and why I chose them:

2x 18” long 1/2” black pipe
2x 1/2” black pipe tee (connects the black pipe)
1x 1/2” to 1/4” reducing elbow (convenient! the final joint in the manifold)
2x 1/2” to 1/4” bushing (placed at the end of the tees)
1x 1/2” 2” black nipple (attached to the beginning of the manifold, for the regulator)

Heres a picture of the manifold with the stand, for size comparison. It isn't attached yet, but we eventually used two galvanized clips to secure it to the bottom of the stand. You can also see the tabs that we put on to allow the keg to sit flush with the top of the stand.

Choice of burners was a major hurdle. Many brewers swear by the banjo burner, or BG14. The other choices were the jet burner (wok burners), the BG10, and the BG12. Some people claims that the BG14 and the jet burners are overkill in terms of heat. I used a BG10 on my old SP10 stand and wanted something more robust. Therefore I opted for BG12's since they seemed like the best compromise. They are also less that twenty bucks each, compared to the fifty or so for the banjos.

We still mash in a 48qt rectangular cooler, so we just got 2 burners for now. This also allows for us to add on a banjo burner for the higher output if we think we need more BTU's.

Here we're doing a night test of burners. I love the picture running at low output. It illustrates why these burners are so great – they can be cranked up pretty high, and also run very low to prevent scorching. Thanks to OneHoppyGuy for his expertise on the topic, as well as his advice on fittings for the manifold.

We needed some way to mount the burners and came up with this. It's an old road sign post. It was pretty severely rusted, but an hour of grinding exposed some pretty nice steel. These things are MASSIVE! About an 1/8” thick and heavy. Luckily the holes were already there.

To hold the center beam, we added two more lengths of angle iron, like a little shelf, and bolted the beam in place. The top of the burner is 4 1/2” from the top of the stand. This leaves room to raise them if needed using washers or a short piece of tubing. Manifold isn't attached still.

Then to attach the manifold to the burners, I decided to use copper tubing. The alternative was to buy short crimped hoses ($12 each) or use the yellow flex lines (nearly $30 each!). I bought the cheap flaring tool from harbor freight for around $10 to enable me to flare the ends. The tool also comes with 4 bending springs, and a tubing cutter...can't beat that!

3x 1/4” FPT by 1/4” MPT Brass needle valves (connected MPT end to bushing)
3x 1' copper tubing at 3/8” OD, and 1/4” ID (flexible, used to connect the valves to burners)
6x 3/8” flare nut (attaches the copper to flared fittings)
3x 3/8” FL to ¼ MPT (needle valve to flare nut)
3x High pressure orifice. (orifi? Connects the coppper to the burner)

Bending small lengths of tubing is a really pain in the ass. The bending springs were essential, and using something rounded to bend against such as a pot or maglight is really helpful. I like the end result better than the flex hosing look however, so it was well worth the effort to me. You can see the simple clips used to attach the manifold to the stand

We reassembled the manifold and sealed it using pipe dope. Gas teflon tape can also be used, but it is prone to becoming brittle and flaking off. We did leak testing using a dilute soap solution and looking for bubbles.

A note about the regulator – I wanted to reuse our old regulator from the SP10. It is the style that incorporates the orifice directly on the hose. However the swivel fitting leaked profusely under pressure, so we needed to buy a new one. We opted for an adjustable regulator for flexibility. It screws onto the manifold via a 3/8” male flare to 1/2” FPT brass fitting.

Finally got to brew with the stand, even if it is partially complete. Still don't have a pump or keggle fittings. That's the next step, as well as finding two more kegs to convert.

We still need to figure out windshields – you can see the burner flame lifting away due to gusts of wind.

I'll continue to document any developments in the next few weeks. Any advice is greatly appreciated and questions or comments are encouraged!

It's a caster convention! :rockin:

Seriously, that's a pretty neat build, especially in the context of a limited tool suite. It should serve you well!

Cheers!

That has got to be one of the better weldless stands that I have seen. You can't really tell it was bed frames. I like it better than the perforated metal stands.

Agreed! This looks great! What would you say your total cost of materials is? I am right there in the, having more time than money, so anything I can diy I will do even if it means lost of time spent.

Well the bedframes are obviously free as well as the signpost

My advise is to get 4 bedframes instead of just 3. There were times when we needed more angle iron, such as attaching the center beam or making tabs. We just had to buy some extra angle iron from home depot, which was an unnecessary cost.

Nuts and bolts were something like $5-10 all together. There was a lot of screwing with things (no pun intended) to figure out what would work, so we have a few unused boxes of bolts.

That being said, all of the cost was in the casters and fittings:
Casters, 8x $4.50
Black pipe elbows and tees, 3x $1.50
Black pipe 18", 2x $4.10
Bushings, 2x $.79

Needle valves, 3x $10
Flare nuts, 3x $1.39
Flare to pipe fitting, 3x $1.60
Orifice, 2x $3.50
Copper, $15 (we also kinked a foot or two before I learned the right way to bend it)

So roughly summed - Its just over $110 for the manifold plumbing.

I bolded the parts that cost the most. You could consider using ball valves instead of needle valves. Some people say ball valves don't offer sufficient flame control however. Also, the casters are nearly half that cost, so you could opt for fewer.

The burners were $16 for each, and the regulator was $30. We got a 0-40 adjustable regulator and its actually pretty unnecessary. If you crank the pressure too high, the flame will blow out. There are 0-15 psi regulators for half that cost. Or you could just get a cheap low pressure regulator from an old grill, I'll bet that would work fine.

So total it was under $200 (also two cans of paint) for all of our parts though I'm sure there are some other costs I missed. To add the last burner, I'll just need one more orifice and the burner itself, so $20 more.

Great build! I'm sticking with a single vessel system right now but something to keep in mind for the future.

Nice work.
I'm in the process of building a weldless stand myself and this will be of great help. I am using the slotted angle iron since I got it for free. Before that I had considered using old bedframes which I had planned to scan Craigslist for. I do like the look of the solid angle iron from the bedframes.

I'm just not sure whether to go with a 2 tier or single tier. I am considering putting my HLT on an upper tier to save on buying a second pump. Also, if I am using 3 converted kegs on my stand, I'm not sure if it would be necessary to have 3 burners. Wouldn't I just need to heat my HLT & BK? Can you possibly shed some light on this for me? I still brew extract, so I'm still learning this all-grain stuff.

Nice work.
I'm in the process of building a weldless stand myself and this will be of great help. I am using the slotted angle iron since I got it for free. Before that I had considered using old bedframes which I had planned to scan Craigslist for. I do like the look of the solid angle iron from the bedframes.

I'm just not sure whether to go with a 2 tier or single tier. I am considering putting my HLT on an upper tier to save on buying a second pump. Also, if I am using 3 converted kegs on my stand, I'm not sure if it would be necessary to have 3 burners. Wouldn't I just need to heat my HLT & BK? Can you possibly shed some light on this for me? I still brew extract, so I'm still learning this all-grain stuff.

If your using a keg as your MT you'll probably want some sort means of heating it. Even if you insulate the keg, it doesn't hold heat quite as well as a cooler. So you have have three options:

-Direct fire RIMs
-RIMS with a heating element
-HERMS

For me, the direct fire method makes the most sense, and requires less equipment. However, I will need all three burners if I don't want to move vessels around.

The other RIMS and HERMS don't need a third burner. In a HERMs you push your mash through a coil in your HLT while your HLT is filled with your sparge water. RIMS obviously uses a external heat stick.

As you can see, I'm still mashing in a cooler since we don't have a pump or another keggle yet.

As far as a single tier or 2, you'll only need two pumps on the single tier if you want to fly sparge. I batch sparge, so one pump is all I want right now. If your on a budget, and must fly sparge, then the 2 tier is a reasonable solution.

Looking good! I haven't seen many weldless stands that I would consider. I guess I'm just extremely anal on anything that I build looking good. Your's on the other hand is something that I would probably try myself.

However, I do have access to a couple of welders, so I will likely go that route whenever I get around to building a proper brew stand.

Do you have links to the parts listing for the gas pieces? I am trying to build get the parts together this weekend.

Black pipe elbows and tees, 3x $1.50
Black pipe 18", 2x $4.10
Bushings, 2x $.79

Needle valves, 3x $10
Flare nuts, 3x $1.39
Flare to pipe fitting, 3x $1.60
Orifice, 2x $3.50
Copper, $15

Nice work.

scan dumpsters from bed stores they usually have the broken ones when they deliver and setup new beds

I'd like to edit the image in the original post, but there's no edit button...perhaps since it's been too long. If a mod wouldn't mind putting the link on the OP it would be great - or if it's possible to re-able the edit, I'll replace the pictures with working urls.

I uploaded them to another image host if anyone is interested:

imgur.com/a/YzdJt

Looks good, I like the re-use of the bed frame. I would maybe looking into getting some of the angle brackets that most people use on weldless stands, to help it from swaying, and to help distribute the load. Other than that it looks great. One question, do you swap the small burner in for different batches or is it for future upgrade?

-G

exactly what i was planning on doing. just got my 4th bed frame so im gonna start to work on it.

so your size is 54" long and 16" wide and 16" tall? whatare the size of the spaces for the kegs on the top?

Back