Other insomniacs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Anyone else here lucky to get 20 hrs of sleep a week? I have a small bakery and sell at farmers markets. When I'm busy, I don't have time to sleep much. Now that I have time to sleep, I can't seem to remember how. My wife having to get up at 5 on a rotating schedule doesn't help. My brain is turning into mush. At least that means I won't have to drink so much, but then what am I going to do with all this homebrew?

I get around 5-6 hours per night, and am usually out the door around 6 am.

I heard a good podcast on sleep, the author being interviewed suggested that the notion of 8 hours of sleep in a row is a relatively new idea and not necessarily what we are 'meant' to do. I find that I never sleep 7-8 hours in a row, but I do sometimes get up after four or five, do something quiet for an hour (say read HBT or listen to a podcast) and then go back to sleep for an hour.

I usually rise at 4-5 AM. I love the quiet of the morning.

Pappers_ said:
I get around 5-6 hours per night, and am usually out the door around 6 am.

I heard a good podcast on sleep, the author being interviewed suggested that the notion of 8 hours of sleep in a row is a relatively new idea and not necessarily what we are 'meant' to do. I find that I never sleep 7-8 hours in a row, but I do sometimes get up after four or five, do something quiet for an hour (say read HBT or listen to a podcast) and then go back to sleep for an hour.

Maybe it was on Fresh Air? I think i heard that interview. First sleep and second sleep with a nice break in between. If I'd go back to sleep, I'd be golden. To compound my suffering, my wife could be the world champion of sleep.

Maybe it was on Fresh Air? I think i heard that interview. First sleep and second sleep with a nice break in between. If I'd go back to sleep, I'd be golden. To compound my suffering, my wife could be the world champion of sleep.

Yes, that was it. Sometimes I'll play an old Brew Strong episode and after ten minutes of those guys talking about flocculation, I'm fast asleep ;)

I'm kidding, I love Brew Strong, but I do find it helpful to get back to sleep if I have some podcast going.

I'm all over the place. Not really an insomniac, but definitely not an 8hr guy. I work nights and try to sleep normal on my days off, but it always a crap shoot!

I spent my working life on all 3 shifts at Ford for 31 years. By the time I retired,I have insomnia & sleep apnia. What a pain. I sometimes take till very early dawn to finally fall asleep. Dr does nothing. Feelin a bit like Freddy Flame out now...:drunk:

I have insomnia. I wake up several times a night and then it is almost impossible for me to get back to sleep. I then start getting all worked up because I am not sleeping and lay in bed all angry about the fact that I can't sleep. I wish I was smart enough to just get up and do something.

Airborneguy said:
I'm all over the place. Not really an insomniac, but definitely not an 8hr guy. I work nights and try to sleep normal on my days off, but it always a crap shoot!

I spent about 3 years of my life doing rotating shifts, if you're anything like me, you don't have a sleep pattern established at all.

Since I started this thread, I've had two solid nights of sleep :D got almost 5 hrs the first night and almost 7 in two sections last night. So chances are ill be back on the couch when I wake up at 1am, but at least I've got half the grain crushed to brew.

I get home from work at around 11 and have to get up at 7 to get my daughter off to school. Instead of trying to get 8hrs straight I get about 5 at night and about 2 late morning early afternoon. It's been working ok for me.

Well last night sucked. I've had this really bad cold and my girlfriend and I have been fighting lately. So to be nice, she stayed up and on the couch while I went to bed at 9. Around 2 am I wake up with a sore throat and get up. Somehow, one thing leads to another, we get in a big screaming match and I find myself at work, with my dog, at 3:30 this morning.

Not really sure what I am going to do now. I have no desire to go home. None whatsoever. It's almost 5:30 AM, maybe I'll just take a road trip for a few days.

Well last night sucked. I've had this really bad cold and my girlfriend and I have been fighting lately. So to be nice, she stayed up and on the couch while I went to bed at 9. Around 2 am I wake up with a sore throat and get up. Somehow, one thing leads to another, we get in a big screaming match and I find myself at work, with my dog, at 3:30 this morning.

Not really sure what I am going to do now. I have no desire to go home. None whatsoever. It's almost 5:30 AM, maybe I'll just take a road trip for a few days.

Been there, done that, got the hell out. Screaming arguments are never a good sign. Screaming arguments at 3am are a good sign it's time to leave and not look back. Sounds like you should find some beer event going on for Turkey Day and start figuring out how to have less crazy in your life.

Been there, done that, got the hell out. Screaming arguments are never a good sign. Screaming arguments at 3am are a good sign it's time to leave and not look back. Sounds like you should find some beer event going on for Turkey Day and start figuring out how to have less crazy in your life.

Yeah, it's been building for a while. We live in her house. And she never fails to remind me that it is hers during these episodes, despite what is discussed between them. I have never felt as if I have any place in her house. All her crap, all her photos, all her furniture. I have a corner here, and a shelf there. Not a huge deal because we built a shed out back that I use for brewing and hanging out.

But then something like this comes up and I find myself homeless at 3 AM on a Wednesday. Completely unacceptable. Now I realize that I have rights and could refuse to leave, but what's the point? I'd rather just get the hell away from her.

Wow, sounds really bad, Boomer. Thoughts and prayers for you.

Just the other night I was tossing and turning and SWMBO had a morning shift she had to work.

Her: "James, GO TO BED!"
Me: "I can't sleep"
Her: "Just close your eyes and think about boobs again"

I was snoring within 10 minutes.

I do off and on. It used to be miserable - just a couple hours a night. The key for me has been to get a really good workout after work and then, as much as I hate to say it, cut out the beer in the evening. Okay, maybe just one. But exercise has really been the thing that beat insomnia for me.

The worst night sleep I got was 3 days ago. 5 alarm toothache that lasted 24 hours straight. I've never been happy to get a root canal before.

Back