Other Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
Home Brewing everyone's only hobby? What other obsessions do home-brewers have when they aren't brewing?

I train in Brazilian JiuJitsu, run and weight-lift.

Use to mess with fast cars too but got to expensive

• Running - I run 5 miles a day during lunch at work, plus occasional races during the summer.
  • Squash - I play squash once a week
  • Photography - I'm a part-time wedding photographer (to pay for all the fancy lenses), and I use the equipment and skills I've learned to take better vacation photos
  • Star Wars Lego - Dunno why, I just love the stuff. I have a custom-built 8' long melamine workbench in my basement specifically for building Star Wars Lego sets. I've got a couple of the big ones, like the 5,000 piece Death Star, and the 3,000+ piece Super Star Destroyer that, when assembled, is over 4 feet long and weighs 8 pounds.
  • Cake decorating - A few years ago, I was making a birthday cake for my wife, and realized I knew nothing about the different kinds of icing, or how to properly decorate a cake. So I took all 4 levels of the Wilton Cake Decorating course. Now I often make cakes for friends, relatives, and kids.
  • Magic: The Gathering - I've got an extensive collection of Magic cards ($20k+) and travel to Gencon each year for 3 solid days of tournaments and geeking out. The rest of the year I participate in monthly tournaments, and the occasional casual game with friends.
  • Flying - I got my private pilot's license through Air Cadets when I was a teenager, although admittedly I haven't been flying in a couple of years, due to the cost ($150+/hr wet to rent a little 1960's-era Cessna).
  • Finance/investing - I'm interested in money topics, I've read several books on the subject, and I manage our investment portfolios.

Those are the main ones. I dabbled in woodworking, mat cutting, learning piano, circuitry design, and a few other things, but none of those really stuck. There's just not enough time/money to do it all. I'm a computer programmer as my day job, no kids (thankfully).

Radio Control Flying
Designer Board Games (NOT the kind you'll find at Walmart or Toys Are Us)
Sailing
Astronomy
Flying
SCUBA
Model Railroading
Woodworking
Photography
Cycling
Archery
Shooting

I think I may have adult ADHD! :)

-Shooting
-Video Games
-Weight lifting
-Cooking
-Drinking

-Gave up motorcycles after my wife and mom begged me not to ride any more (had an accident).

Latest posts

Back