Oster Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an Oster refrigerator at Best Buy this weekend, and it looked like might work out pretty good. It came without a freezer section, so you dont' have that getting in the way. It advertised 4.5 c.f. and priced out at $209.

Anyone have any experience with this model/brand?

I'd get the Sanyo if it was available at my price range. I'm just asking for experience on the Oster in case it's on massive sale, or I saw one at yard sale or ebay. I'm keeping my eyes open for kegerator of that type, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm shopping used/cheap.

We're shopping Widescreen TVs plus Playstation3 for BlueRay at this time, so I'm hoping to not spend much on kegging right now.

P.S. - 1080P is frikkin sweet!

Wait...you said that the Oster is priced at $209, but the Sanyo is out of your price range? This Sanyo? The one for $209?

bestbuy.jpg

Seems to me they're the same price. Anyway, the Sanyo is 4.9 cf and the Oster is 4.5. Also, according to the website, the 4.5cf Oster DOES have a freezer. Unless you get confirmation that this fridge will work from someone else, I'd be wary.

Yes, the Oster is a 5.0 cf unit. They also had a 4.5 cf unit with a freezer. I dont' plan on buying either of these new unless it was on massive clearance. I only asked abotu them to see if anyone had any experience with them. I'm scouring yard sales and ebay/craigs to get it for dirt cheap. We got too much remodeling going on to spend too much on my kegerator.

I'd buy the 4912 at that price but unfortunately Best Buy Canada doesn't carry them...and now costco.ca doesn't carry it either.

Called Best Buy today and they told me that the 4912 has been discontinued. It still shows up on the web site but is no longer availible unless the store happens to have one in stock. The Oster is taking it's place.

If you plan on 2 kegs and a 5lb. co2 tank inside the fridge you may not get it to fit in the Oster. The Sanyo is 4.9 cu. ft. and 2 kegs and a tank fit perfectly. Measure things up good before you buy. You may only end up fitting 2 cornies with the co2 outside. Measure twice... buy once is all I'm saying. Or if the co2 tank isn't a prob you shouldn't have any worries at all.

Oh and check out Sears. They have a Kenmore Elite 4.9 cu. ft. that is identical to the Sanyo 4912. It's what I have and have no problems.

I bought this Oster (Model #OR5005M3M) and am converting tomorrow with a custom kit from KegConnection. It is indeed 5.0 cu ft, and will fit 2 Corny's and a 5# tank with slight modification. You do not have to remove the inside door panel (although the bottom tray of it must come off).

In order to fit the 2 Corny's, I'll have to relocate the temp selector & lamp up to the top of the compartment. It sticks out about 2 inches on the right side and prevents the 2nd corny from resting level.

I'll be posting pics in a separate thread once we start the actual conversion tomorrow. Based on my initial inspection, this unit appears very similar to the (now discontinued) Sanyo 4912.

FYI - One weird thing - there's absolutely nothing on Oster's website about refrigerators.

I also just bought the oster 5.0. With a kit from midwestsupplies (2keg, 5#, regulator & lines.) will install a tower later, i want to see if i can fit a 3rd keg, in there before i buy a 2 tap tower.
Im waiting on the equipment in the mail, so if you convert yours first let me know how it turns out

I got a lot done on the conversion this weekend. Here's a quick summary to get started:

• This fridge will hold 2 Cornys and a 5# tank. 3 cornys is not possible in any configuration (even with external c02 tank).

• It appears the entire cooling coil is mounted e on a backplate inside the refrigerated compartment. This coil is curves toward the door about 4" near the top of the fridge.

• I could not locate any coolant lines on the top of this unit. I suspect there is one near the door (about 3" back) but didn't dig in to find it. More on this below...

• Bottom of the unit has steel support under the compressor, and plenty of drill-able metal for mounting casters directly to the fridge.

• The interior shelf (over the compressor) is deep enough to support a 5# CO2 tank with no additional construction. There is also a drain at the rear of this shelf.

I'll post more detailed instructions and a full set of pictures once I get them uploaded somewhere. I've fully documented the conversion thus far in order to assist the rest of you :)

I was in Best Buy the other day and saw this fridge. Looks like this is going to be a super nice replacement for the 4912. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Oster OR5005M3M Conversion
---------------------------------
Tools:
(1) ~2" Bi-metal hole saw (anything between 1.75-3" should work, depending on tower)
(1) Heavy duty razorknife (I used a carpet knife)
(1) Pair needle nose pliers
(1) Phillips Screwdriver / drill bit
(1) 15/64" drill bit (good diameter for most draft tower bolts)

Materials (modification):
(1) 3/8" thick plywood/hardiboard/siding cut to 9 7/16" square
(1) Roll 322 or 324 aluminum foil tape
(1) Pkg #10 rubber washers (faucet section @ home depot)

Materials (casters):
(4) Omnidirectional stainless wheel casters (I'll post UPC if I can find reciept)
(1) Pkg #10 zinc-plated steel washers (orange bag @ home depot)
(2) Pkg #12 x 3/8" zinc-plated steel screws (red bag @ home depot)

Good job! Looks good. I know I was freaking when I could not find a Sanyo for a bit. Found one eventualy but it is good to know there is an option that looks just as good.

well, thanks so far. my fridge is at home, and my kit (not the tower) will be here friday. i can go ahead and buy a tower now that i knw 2 cornies is the max. Two concerns i had:
1. does the condensor plate in the back have any negative effect being so close to the co2 & regs.?
2. is the tem control good enough to keep beer at somewhat regulated temps?

well, thanks so far. my fridge is at home, and my kit (not the tower) will be here friday. i can go ahead and buy a tower now that i knw 2 cornies is the max. Two concerns i had:
1. does the condensor plate in the back have any negative effect being so close to the co2 & regs.?
2. is the tem control good enough to keep beer at somewhat regulated temps?

My 5# tank has a short enough dome that it fits without issue. The regulator is pretty close to the condenser, so I'm not sure how that'll work. I'm going to pressurize tonight hopefully and test it out. I may wind up fashioning some kind of insulation jacket for the regulator assembly.

I had it on all night at the lowest setting, which maintained a ~60 deg average. It definitely has some circulation issues with the cornys installed (temp variations throughout the compartment) so it may be advisable to install a fan to move air. I'll bump it to 3-4 and see how it holds tonight.

sounds good, im anxious to get my equipment and start the build. i have to order my tower in a few hrs when i get home so it will be here by weekend

Very nice, tard. I ended up buying a taller Sunbeam fridge after all, but the Oster looks like a decent replacement for the venerable Sanyo.

im planning on a 2 tap chrome tower off ebay for 96$ shipped. i havent decided to upgrade the faucets or not. any suggestions?

Go ahead and buy forward sealing faucets now (Perlicks, Shirron, Ventamatic) because you're going to upgrade them eventually. It'll cost you a little bit more now, but at least you won't have bought faucets twice.

the tower i plan on getting comes with the cheap faucets, so ill still esentially be buying them twice

Just an update: I've got a commercial 1/6 and a full corny in the Oster right now. It does fit both, with some gentle shoving ;)

Tard - I'm trying to settle on a fridge asap since the Sanyo can't be found.......does the Oster keep everything nice and cold? What temp would you say?

Just an update: I've got a commercial 1/6 and a full corny in the Oster right now. It does fit both, with some gentle shoving ;)

not too familiar with kegging, obviously (if you read above posts), but a 1/6 commercial.. is that a commercial version of a corny that is sold full by microbreweries?

oh yea, BTW:
I did the keg conversion according to your steps Tard. Few differences, i didnt put casters on (possible future project) and i modified the thermostat box that we moved, so that the wires come out of the side and it sits flush when mounted. I ran out of project funds, so i will be using the "stock" faucets that were on the tower untill i can afford better. And sadly my new baby sits empty in the corner, waiting for my first draft batch to be ready, hopefully by the 4th.
so until then:
My new toy is like a typical woman... beautiful and doesnt put out.

I've got it on the max cooling at "7" and it keeps a cup of water at 36-38 degrees on the bottom. Temps climb to mid-40's at the top of the compartment.

I managed to ice up the chiller plate pretty good messing with it, so I'll probably defrost after these kegs are out and re-check temps.

I'm getting some mild foaming due to the tower temps, but have mitigated with some pipe insulation on my beer lines. My lines are also only 4' so that's probably contributing. I'm looking at installing a fan for tower cooling in the near future.

I've got it on the max cooling at "7" and it keeps a cup of water at 36-38 degrees on the bottom. Temps climb to mid-40's at the top of the compartment.

I managed to ice up the chiller plate pretty good messing with it, so I'll probably defrost after these kegs are out and re-check temps.

I'm getting some mild foaming due to the tower temps, but have mitigated with some pipe insulation on my beer lines. My lines are also only 4' so that's probably contributing. I'm looking at installing a fan for tower cooling in the near future.

is there any way to make it colder (with mods)? if you cant achieve a good "beer temp"

Tard - the sixels are the same as regular commercial kegs (D-Sanke's).....

Aer you happy with the temp on Oster?

Tard - the sixels are the same as regular commercial kegs (D-Sanke's).....

Aer you happy with the temp on Oster?

I'm happy with the compartment temp, but not the tower. I need to de-ice the panel and make sure the probe is not iced over. It does hold 38 degrees for the bottom half of the fridge w/o any mods. My liquid temp at the faucet is about 45 degrees for first pour, then about 40 for second.

Back