Oskar Blues Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Iceman6409 - are those IBU numbers correct? 11.9 IBUs total?

Beersmith pops out the following;

0.33oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) - 90min = 9.4 IBU
0.45oz East Kent Golding (5.0% AA) - 10min = 2.5 IBU

Hope that helps.

@Iceman6409 - are those IBU numbers correct? 11.9 IBUs total?

Beersmith pops out the following;

0.33oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) - 90min = 9.4 IBU
0.45oz East Kent Golding (5.0% AA) - 10min = 2.5 IBU

Hope that helps.

What are your setting on beersmith? That is not at all what I got from it.

Also, I just looked it up and Old Chub is 25 IBU according to their site.

Anyone know how the 65 IBUs determined for the Dale Pale Ale? is this measured or calculated? If calculated do you include IBU contributions from the whirlpool? Seems brewtoad doesn't include any IBUs from the whirlpool and seems to match the 65,but beersmith ads IBUs for the whirlpool and comes out way high for the same recipe.

You are certainly getting "some" bitterness from the whirlpool.

Beersmith seems to way overstate IBU contribution from a whirlpool in my opinion.

I usually log the whirlpool addition as a 2 minute boil addition to get a more accurate estimation of bitterness.

@BigMack - You're right, I had the batch size wrong.

Using the default "Pot & Cooler 5gal" profile, 90min boil, using tinseth.
0.37oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) @ 90min = 9.4 IBU
0.50oz EKG (5.0% AA) @ 10min = 2.5 IBU

Not that far off... What are you getting out of Beersmith? Either way, 11.9 IBUs is still 13.1 IBUs short of the real Old Chub.

Old Chub.JPG

It's not my recipe. It is someone elses on here that I saw. I personally do not know how to craft a recipe at all. I just use a current recipe I like and go from there. Hence why I am asking for the hop weights. So the .50 ounce Kent and .37 ounce Northern Brewer sounds good weight wise?

@BigMack - You're right, I had the batch size wrong.

Using the default "Pot & Cooler 5gal" profile, 90min boil, using tinseth.
0.37oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) @ 90min = 9.4 IBU
0.50oz EKG (5.0% AA) @ 10min = 2.5 IBU

Not that far off... What are you getting out of Beersmith? Either way, 11.9 IBUs is still 13.1 IBUs short of the real Old Chub.

Hmm, now I'm getting something different than I got before, but still a bit different than yours. I'm getting .3 oz NB and .4 oz EKG. Just a difference of equipment set ups I'm sure. But that also means that anybody giving an estimate will probably be off a little as most people don't have the exact same setup.

It's not my recipe. It is someone elses on here that I saw. I personally do not know how to craft a recipe at all. I just use a current recipe I like and go from there. Hence why I am asking for the hop weights. So the .50 ounce Kent and .37 ounce Northern Brewer sounds good weight wise?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=303487

There, that is a clone recipe from BYO that somebody posted. Try that. Google Fu can get you pretty far in finding other peoples recipes.

And my apologies BigMack and everyone else. Honestly I did not see the postings at the top of this page. That was my fault.

And my apologies BigMack and everyone else. Honestly I did not see the postings at the top of this page. That was my fault.

No need to apologize. Many people just come on here without spending any time searching. An honest mistake is no problem whatsoever. That link I posted should help you out. BYO normally has fairly good clone recipes.

Pinner-esque

Batch size: 11 gal
Boil: 90 Min
OG 1.050
FG 1.011
Ibus: 35.6

8 lbs 4 oz 2 Row Pale Malt
7 lbs 8 oz Maris Otter
3 lbs 4 oz Aromatic Malt
1 lbs 4 oz Acidulated Malt
1 lbs 4 oz Carapils/Dextrine

1 oz Centennial (FWH 90 min)
.5 oz Simcoe (60 min)
.8 oz Cascade (30 min)

Dry Hop
1 oz each for 5 days (Calypso, Citra, El Dorado, Falconers Flight, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Summer Saaz, Zythos)

Wyeast 1056

Now this is the ingredient list I was given. I threw together the recipe, but have not brewed. A buddy and I are going to brew it in the next month or so. If you brew it, let me know what you think.

Pinner-esque

OG 1.050
FG 1.011

7 lbs 8 oz Maris Otter
3 lbs 4 oz Aromatic Malt

.5 oz Simcoe (60 min)
.8 oz Cascade (30 min)

Dry Hop
1 oz each for 5 days (Calypso, Citra, El Dorado, Falconers Flight, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Summer Saaz, Zythos)

Wyeast 1056

Now this is the ingredient list I was given. I threw together the recipe, but have not brewed. A buddy and I are going to brew it in the next month or so. If you brew it, let me know what you think.

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes.

I brewed 6 gallons of the Old Chub clone recipe 2 months ago. I aimed for 8%ABV and 25 IBUs via Tinseth in BeerSmith. OG was 1.081, FG 1.020, so 8%ABV I racked 5 gallons into a carboy with oak cubes and bottled what wouldn't fit. I have tried 2 bottles side by side with the real thing and even so young this is very close. The real Chub is smokier, but my smoked malt was pretty old so that is probably why. This recipe turns out a great beer. :mug:

That seems like a lot of acidulated malt...

*EDIT* Pardons, didn't see it was for an 11G batch.

:eek:

Last edited:
Pinner-esque

OG 1.050
FG 1.011

7 lbs 8 oz Maris Otter
3 lbs 4 oz Aromatic Malt

.5 oz Simcoe (60 min)
.8 oz Cascade (30 min)

Dry Hop

Wyeast 1056

The grain bill i was goven bythe brewery for pinner is slightly different

The grain bill for Pinner is
o 38% Pale malt 2L
o 36% Pale ale malt 3.5 L
o 12% Carapils malt 3 L
o 14% Aromatic/Dark Munich 20L

The grain bill i was goven bythe brewery for pinner is slightly different

The grain bill for Pinner is
o 38% Pale malt 2L
o 36% Pale ale malt 3.5 L
o 12% Carapils malt 3 L
o 14% Aromatic/Dark Munich 20L

Yeah that's where I got the ingredient list from. I wasn't given percentages. Could have been which brewer we got it from, and not giving out everything. I don't know.

So, I recently brewed this recipe:

Dale's Pale Ale

Mash temp 150 F
10# rahr 2-row
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Crisp 77L

1.5 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.0 oz Cascade 25min
0.5 oz Columbus 10min
2.0 oz Centennial Whirl Pool/end of boil

Yeast 1056 American Ale

The malt profile and color are spot on to DPA, but the hop flavor and aroma is missing completely! Not sure why my hop utilization was so bad. I filtered my strike water through a carbon filter, like I always do and then added in some gypsum (can't remember how much) and then did a hop stand for 20 min at 180 degrees.

What can I do to save this batch? Should I dry hop in the keg with cascade ?

So, I recently brewed this recipe:

Dale's Pale Ale

Mash temp 150 F
10# rahr 2-row
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Crisp 77L

1.0 oz Cascade 25min
0.5 oz Columbus 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

The malt profile and color are spot on to DPA, but the hop flavor and aroma is missing completely! Not sure why my hop utilization was so bad. I filtered my strike water through a carbon filter, like I always do and then added in some gypsum (can't remember how much) and then did a hop stand for 20 min at 180 degrees.

What can I do to save this batch? Should I dry hop in the keg with cascade ?

dry hop with the three hops you've used. I personally like dry hopping with columbus and centennial in an IPA

My attempt at the pale ale. I moved some of the late additions to a first wort hop for fun. It turned out really nice and great to drink though I haven't done a side by side comparison yet.

View attachment 1465785593328.jpg

I've had this on tap for a week now. Side by side is indistinguishable from Dale's. Impressive clone.

motobrewer, do you remember if you followed the recipe exactly or if you made any modifcations? I looks like Malty_Dog backed off the Northern Brewer from 2oz to .5. Was wondering if you did the same.

Dale's Pale Ale

Mash temp 150 F
10# rahr 2-row
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Crisp 77L

1.0 oz Cascade 25min
0.5 oz Columbus 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

motobrewer, do you remember if you followed the recipe exactly or if you made any modifcations? I looks like Malty_Dog backed off the Northern Brewer from 2oz to .5. Was wondering if you did the same.

Dale's Pale Ale

Mash temp 150 F
10# rahr 2-row
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Crisp 77L

1.0 oz Cascade 25min
0.5 oz Columbus 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Followed exactly.

Anyone actually breW the pinner recipe above?
Been looking for a good session IPA recipe and I have almost all those hops.
Just need to sub the Zythos With something else.

Anyone actually breW the pinner recipe above?
Been looking for a good session IPA recipe and I have almost all those hops.
Just need to sub the Zythos With something else.

Brewing Monday or Tuesday. So, it will be a few weeks before I can taste it.

I've brewed slightly modified versions of ten Fidy and old chub in the past couple weeks. I can't get these beers where I live so I figured, what the hell... I'll just brew them myself. Ten Fidy is going to be awhile before it's ready to drink, but hoping to enjoy old chub in a month or so.

Yeah, I went ahead and brewed it. Overshot my efficiency and it'll be more like a 9% old chub. It's in primary and at least a few weeks away from actually drinking. Admittedly, it's been a couple years since I've had it, so I won't remember exactly what it tastes like, but I'm sure it will be good.

My job got insanely busy, and I finally got around to brewing Dale’s yesterday. I hit all my numbers perfectly and looks like it’ll be spot on at 6.5% and 65ibus. It’s chugging along this morning.
I couldn’t get any crystal 77, but I had 75 on hand. I doubt it’ll be noticeable.
I also have everything on hand for Old Chub! That’ll be on the schedule soon enough.

How did everyone's recent Dale's brews turn out?

My Old Chub, sadly, got dumped. I let it sit in "secondary" in a bottling bucket with way too much headspace for way too long. It was definitely oxidized and quite possibly got infected too. It turned almost black (thought I had mistakenly grabbed my Ten-Fidy when I opened it up). It smelled, tasted, and looked VERY off.

It became my first dumped batch and I am now strongly considering skipping secondary for all but actual second ferments (like fruit).

On the plus side, my Ten-Fidy is shaping up to be a solid brew. It was secondaried in a proper glass carboy.

I never do secondary ever. It took three attempts to get the Old Chub clone nailed down. I still want to tweak the water to get it on the crisp side. The third version I did came out more rounded where as Old Chub has a crisp Med dry finish.

Old Chub has been one of my all time favs ever since I first tried one about 15 Years ago but I have never tried to brew one. I think it's time! This recipe sounds like the real deal. I was sitting here working on the recipe (and drinking an actual Old Chub) when it dawned on me (after reading through all the posts on this thread) I hadn't seen an fg for this recipe. After inputting all ingredients into the program I came out with an og of 1.084. I just happened to have my hydrometer and test tube sitting on my desk and after a slap of my palm on my forehead, I poured my glass of OC into the test tube and inserted the hydrometer. Voila, 1.024. ABV 7.98 % Sound pretty close to 8% to me. Can't wait to get started.

Back