Oskar Blues GUBNA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.101 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 119.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 81.0 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
2 lbs Rye, Flaked (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.5 %
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 65.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 17.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
2.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 26.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 26.25 qt of water at 164.8 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.68 gal water at 168.0 F

I love all OB beers, let us know if it comes out awesome!

I have it on keg now. I think it tastes pretty damn good. Especially for my first homebrew ever. I just picked up a 4pack of the GUBNA so I can do some comparison. With out even doing that I can say now I think I could have upped the rye and munich a little and decreased the 2row. I will post more about the comparison once it happens though.

So far those who have had my "clone" like it better but that is probably because the most recent can of GUBNA I can find is from 8/12 and the hops have faded. The next time I make this I will definitely use more rye. Color was spot on. Great beer.

Another report... keeps getting better each time a pour a glass. A people even said they preferred my version of the original, but I think that is mostly due to non-fresh cans. Anyway, if you are a fan of Oskar Blues you should brew this beer. Its easy, summit hops are cheap, and the Safale US-05 is a monster. Just use 2 packets and you cant go wrong.

Just went to visit OB and the latest Gubna is different.. The garlic/onion is gone. I asked the bartender if it was different than before and she said they took out the Summit and it's just Columbus and Cascade now.

Thats a shame. I loved the original. Its also really hard to get fresh cans of this beer. The price tag on it seems to prevent people from buying them. The last 4 pack I got had nearly no hop flavor.

Just went to visit OB and the latest Gubna is different.. The garlic/onion is gone. I asked the bartender if it was different than before and she said they took out the Summit and it's just Columbus and Cascade now.

Summit is still in there.

The Longmont-based brewery has tweaked the recipe for the massive 10 percent ABV, 100-plus IBU rye IPA -- which debuted in a can in March 2010 -- adding Cascade hops on top of the Summit hops that were already being used.
http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...na-now-a-seasonal-no-longer-single-hop.72256/

Latest posts

Back