Orval Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402150819.483278.jpg

I am trying to make a starter with som Orval dregs. After one week this formed. Any thought?

The WPL510 Bastogne yeast (Plantinum series) is the same as the Orval yeast. From what i have read, most breweries do not bottle condition with their house strain.

I would pitch it into secondary. That is where you will get the most out of the Brett Brux that is evident.

The WPL510 Bastogne yeast (Plantinum series) is the same as the Orval yeast. From what i have read, most breweries do not bottle condition with their house strain.

I don't think the 510 has brett in it. I've pitched orval dregs directly in secondary and it will build up some nice brett character.

I would say a brewery conditions beer with whatever yeast they have on hand. In an American craft brewery that.could be a Belgian, lager, or their ale strain. In breweries that only use one yeast I would give you a guess what they use. Bottle conditioning beer isn't like Cold War espionage, they use whats on hand which is typically their yeast strain.

Of course there are always exceptions......

Back