Orifice size, high pressure, low pressure... head exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 121283

Reaction score
So I have one of the turkey fryers most of us have started with... I bought it from a local home improvement store for $40 last year. It has always given off a yellow flame and covered my newly polished keggle with soot. I've tried adjusting the shutter but it doesn't have an effect on the flame. I'm thinking it may be the orifice... When I bought it, it was a floor model... The flex line and regulator coming off of it was broken so we (a store associate and myself) switched it with the flex line/regulator from another floor model that wasn't broken. I assumed they were the same burner, just the other floor model had a taller stand.

Is there a way for me to tell what orifice I should have, if my burner is high pressure or low pressure, and if my regulator is high pressure or low pressure?

Sounds to me like the burner & regulator are mis matched. The regulator should have a data blurb embossed on one of faces, see if you can read it. Yellow flame indicates too rich combustion.

Way too long to reply, my bad... I didn't have any notifications turned on and I'm just now realizing I had replies to all of my threads.

We figured out that we needed to turn the regulator to high and no more black soot. But now the regulator is starting to not work, time to upgarde.

Back