Oreo Cream Stout - Using Oreos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
So yesterday I came up with a base recipe with some help from Colorado68 for a Oreo Cream stout recipe. After talking with him the beer came out very solid and definitely was a great beer for a sweet stout, but a master BJCP said it did not resemble the taste of an oreo. With that said my idea was maybe to take the Oreo graham itself without the cream in the middle, crush it, and put it into my mash to get that chocolate/graham flavor and texture in the beer. As anyone tried brewing with just oreo crumbs? I have brewed a s'more stout using 28 ounce honeymaid graham crackers in the mash without any negative impacts to yeast performance.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
11.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.5 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.0 %
2.0 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 27.4 IBUs
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0 Sugar 9 8.0 %)
2 oz Land-O-Lakes white chocolate coco powder @ 10 min
1.0 pkg Safbrew S-33 Yeast (11.5g)
4.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary 14.0 days)
1 Vanilla bean soaked in vodka (Secondary - #day's TBD will be determined by tasting after each day)

So yesterday I came up with a base recipe with some help from Colorado68 for a Oreo Cream stout recipe. After talking with him the beer came out very solid and definitely was a great beer for a sweet stout, but a master BJCP said it did not resemble the taste of an oreo. With that said my idea was maybe to take the Oreo graham itself without the cream in the middle, crush it, and put it into my mash to get that chocolate/graham flavor and texture in the beer. As anyone tried brewing with just oreo crumbs? I have brewed a s'more stout using 28 ounce honeymaid graham crackers in the mash without any negative impacts to yeast performance.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
11.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.5 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.0 %
2.0 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 27.4 IBUs
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0 Sugar 9 8.0 %)
2 oz Land-O-Lakes white chocolate coco powder @ 10 min
1.0 pkg Safbrew S-33 Yeast (11.5g)
4.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary 14.0 days)
1 Vanilla bean soaked in vodka (Secondary - #day's TBD will be determined by tasting after each day)

Did you ever figure this out? I have a good chocolate stout recipe but the chocolate in it doesn't taste like the cookie part of an Oreo.

OK, that's enough. Lets get back to brewing beer.

lol exactly... have you seen whats in an oreo these days? your not going to get that flavor with any natural ingredients as a work around easily they are artifically flavored and genetically modified these days for lower production costs and longer shelf life....can you even still call it beer?

they do have Folic acid in them which is made with Lactobacillus bacteria like used in some lambics though:)

I made a chocolate mint oreo cookie oatmeal porter last year that was tasty

CMOCOP 2.jpg

Has anyone tried this Oreo stout with any success? I've been mulling over this idea for a long while and would love to make it soon.

lol exactly... have you seen whats in an oreo these days? your not going to get that flavor with any natural ingredients as a work around easily they are artifically flavored and genetically modified these days for lower production costs and longer shelf life....can you even still call it beer?

they do have Folic acid in them which is made with Lactobacillus bacteria like used in some lambics though:)

Agreed.

I would 1000% never use oreo's or any commercial product made with chemicals in a home brew. One should never ferment chemicals at any time as you don't know what will happen to them as they are fermented. Even if the ingredients look "ok" you also don't know the effects of them being fermented together, other reactions can occur. It's a huge no no and has the potential to make people sick or injure them permanently. Any Brewery that used such things should have proved they have tested the ingredients in conjunction with your health inspection agency to ensure public safety.

Oreos;

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN(--)AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY.

Agreed.

I would 1000% never use oreo's or any commercial product made with chemicals in a home brew. One should never ferment chemicals at any time as you don't know what will happen to them as they are fermented. Even if the ingredients look "ok" you also don't know the effects of them being fermented together, other reactions can occur. It's a huge no no and has the potential to make people sick or injure them permanently. Any Brewery that used such things should have proved they have tested the ingredients in conjunction with your health inspection agency to ensure public safety.

Oreos;

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN(--)AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY.

I dunno...I went to the The Veil and they told me that they use real oreos in secondary.

I'm curious aboutthis as well as I tried to made a chocolate peanut butter porter by using Reese puffs in the secondary. I had a metallic after taste that my lhbs owner told me was the iron and such that was left after the yeast had eaten all the sugar. Did the Oreo stout have a faint metallic after taste at all because I see reduced iron in the ingredients?

I'm curious aboutthis as well as I tried to made a chocolate peanut butter porter by using Reese puffs in the secondary. I had a metallic after taste that my lhbs owner told me was the iron and such that was left after the yeast had eaten all the sugar. Did the Oreo stout have a faint metallic after taste at all because I see reduced iron in the ingredients?

It has to be a lot of iron to taste metallic. My guess it was a bi-product of fermenting processed foods.

I have brewed my fan favorite S'more stout many times in the fall using hand crushed honeymaid graham crackers in the mash with no off flavors, poor yeast performance or loss of head retention. With that being said i plan to brew an Oreo version as shown below in a couple months. I have national homebrew beers currently in my fermenters and then i have some sours waiting on deck to brew first.

Malt
Marris Otter – 7lbs 8 oz
Chocolate cookie Crumbs – 2lbs (See link below)
Victory Malt – 1lb
Crystal 40 – 12oz
Black Barley – 12oz
Chocolate Malt – 8oz
Midnight wheat – 4oz
Flaked Oats 12oz
Rice Hulls – 8oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A09LPW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Mash
Single Infusion at 151 for 60 minutes

Boil
60 minute hop addition with either Fuggles/EK Goldings/Northern Brewer hops targeting a IBU/SG of 0.5
12oz Lactose @ 15 minutes left in the boil
5oz of Hershey’s unsweetened Cocoa powder @ 5 minutes left in the boil

Estimated SG around 1.070

Fermentation
Ferment with WLP004 – Irish Ale yeast for 10 days at 65F
Add 2 scraped and cut madagascar vanilla beans that have been soaked in vodka (soaked for at least a week) to the secondary for 10-14 days until desired flavor is reached

Keg
Carb to 2.5vols

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a recipe for DIY oreos that doesn't have any chemical ingredients (aside from baking powder/soda) or flavors. Not sure how they'd impact the head retention with all the butter and shortening in them though...

Scratch Oreo Recipe

I have brewed my fan favorite S'more stout many times in the fall using hand crushed honeymaid graham crackers in the mash with no off flavors, poor yeast performance or loss of head retention. With that being said i plan to brew an Oreo version as shown below in a couple months. I have national homebrew beers currently in my fermenters and then i have some sours waiting on deck to brew first.

Malt
Marris Otter – 7lbs 8 oz
Chocolate cookie Crumbs – 2lbs (See link below)
Victory Malt – 1lb
Crystal 40 – 12oz
Black Barley – 12oz
Chocolate Malt – 8oz
Midnight wheat – 4oz
Flaked Oats 12oz
Rice Hulls – 8oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A09LPW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Mash
Single Infusion at 151 for 60 minutes

Boil
60 minute hop addition with either Fuggles/EK Goldings/Northern Brewer hops targeting a IBU/SG of 0.5
12oz Lactose @ 15 minutes left in the boil
5oz of Hershey’s unsweetened Cocoa powder @ 5 minutes left in the boil

Estimated SG around 1.070

Fermentation
Ferment with WLP004 – Irish Ale yeast for 10 days at 65F
Add 2 scraped and cut madagascar vanilla beans that have been soaked in vodka (soaked for at least a week) to the secondary for 10-14 days until desired flavor is reached

Keg
Carb to 2.5vols
How did this come out? About to make my own Oreo milk stout this month. Really looking for guidance.

Back