Ordinary Bitter fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
I brewed Azscoob's 'Bitter Brit Ordinary Bitter' using his recipe and process which can be found in the Recipe section. Here is my dilemma...

O.G. - 1.042

He calls for primary fermentation at 67F. My fridge would not get that warm so it was in the primary at 64F for 5 days. I took a gravity reading and it has only dropped to 1.028. I pulled it out of the fridge and set it in the house where it is a constant 67F (should have skipped fridge all together). My thinking is that the warmer temps may get the yeasts going again?

It smells, looks and tastes great at this point but the ABV is a little low at this point.

So, am I being impatient or could I pitch another Smack Pack?

Thanks for the input!

If you pitched the right amount of yeast I don't think you need to add any more. Moving it to a warmer temperature will get the yeast going again. I would try to help the yeast get back into suspension though. You can do this by gently spinning your fermentor back and forth (like a washing machine). If that fails you can rack the beer to another fermentor. Then take the left over yeast slurry(with a little bit of beer) and shake it up really good to oxygenate it. Then add this back into the fermentor.

If your house is a constant 67, why didn't you just leave the fermenter out?

What's the yeast? I'd probably let it sit for another week. It's doubtful the yeast dropped out that early over three degrees.

Latest posts

Back