Ordering from YVH what do I need to know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about ordering some hops from YVH. They seem to have great prices and buying in larger quantities that 1 oz packages seems like a no brainer, but how long do they keep. Once opened do I have to use the whole thing? I like hoppy beers okay, but I don't want to have to use a pound of 11 AA citra in 5 gallons of beer. What is the best way to repackage after opening? Feedback would be appreciated. :mug:

So, I'm thinking about ordering some hops from YVH. They seem to have great prices and buying in larger quantities that 1 oz packages seems like a no brainer, but how long do they keep. Once opened do I have to use the whole thing? I like hoppy beers okay, but I don't want to have to use a pound of 11 AA citra in 5 gallons of beer. What is the best way to repackage after opening? Feedback would be appreciated. :mug:

If you have a vacuum sealer and can store them all in the freezer it's ideal. I just made a beer with 2 year old hallertau hops stored that way and it's good. Some of the higher alpha acid and new world hops probably have a shorter shelf life because of the more volatile compounds in them, but still have no problem using 6 month - 1 year old citra mosaic or simcoe

Another vote for the vacuum sealer and freezer method. I bought a 5 pound bag of EKG last year and I'm still working my way through it. Broke it into 1/2 pound blocks to make it easier to use. I have a couple of other hop strains in the freezer as well. Any that I've opened get vacuum sealed and put back in.

You can get at least a couple/few years out of your hops that way (as mentioned above).

So with a vac sealer and room in the freezer, I can break down 1 lb of hops into like 4 Oz packages, as this is about the max I will using in a beer, for the most part. I usually like to brew a bunch of different styles and IPA is ONE of them. I'd say PA or APA is my favorite. Thanks for the feedback folks :mug:

I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I purge the (original) opened mylar or multilayer barrier bags of hop pellets with CO2, several times, and close them while squeezing as much leftover gas out as possible, and reseal. They're all stored in the bottom of my deep freezer, packed in boxes.

I still have some hops from quite a few years ago, which are still excellent, IMO. As good as they were back then? Who knows?
For kicks, I've compared some beers, same wort, one made with all 4-6 year old hops stored like that, and a 2nd with the same, but all latest harvest ones. I could tell some differences, but not necessarily the one with fresher hops being better, just different.

YVH hops come in a ziplock mylar bag, per their recommendation you can reseal that bag and keep them in the freezer. I've done that and they've kept well. I had a 1 pound bag of tettnanger keep for two years and the last batch I used them on turned out great. Just make sure you squeeze out as much air as you can, some use CO2 or wine preserver to flush the bag, close the ziplock well and keep in the freezer.

I've also been getting hops from HopsDirect. The past few years they've been selling most (or all) hops also in 8 oz packages (not just pounds and larger), (most) for half the pound price, which makes it even more attractive.

Note:
you really need to order at least 3-4 pounds to make shipping worth it. Once there, it's only a marginal increase per extra pound. Plenty of selection.

YVH hops come in a ziplock mylar bag, per their recommendation you can reseal that bag and keep them in the freezer. I've done that and they've kept well. I had a 1 pound bag of tettnanger keep for two years and the last batch I used them on turned out great. Just make sure you squeeze out as much air as you can, some use CO2 or wine preserver to flush the bag, close the ziplock well and keep in the freezer.
Well maybe I'll have to use the saving $ on hops excuse to get me a vac sealer anyway, to go with the su vide machine I'm getting. Glad to hear their packaging works so well. Now, what products do I buy? The hopshots seem like a good deal with 30 ibu for 5 gal of 1050 wort for $3:00. Do they also last in the freezer? I also want to get some whole cone hops to try and do a vodka extraction. Also has anyone tried the lupomax pellets?

I use my vacuum sealer at least once a week for things other than hops. Get the rolls to make your own bags and it's even better. Although I do have some quart bags (bought that size), I do get the rolls of the 11" wide bags. I'm using those to vac pack turkey breast sections that I smoke (I smoke the whole breast section then packing each half separately). The second half lasts more than long enough for me to finish it. I wouldn't trust it in just a ziplock bag from the start.
You can add to your savings when things go on sale and you won't use them in time, and don't want them to get freezer burn when you forget you bought them. I have steaks put up this way form at least a couple years back. Still looking perfect.

I have this disease where I buy pounds of hops I want to try because it is "cheaper."
It is, too! Except I want to try something different next time, and I buy another pound. End result is that I probably have 10lbs of hops in my freezer.

I used some Santiam in my current beer from 2016, and the beer is exactly what I wanted it to be. Pellets in a dark freezer are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

lol @Stand i have that same disease! Im thinking that it is pretty damn common among homebrewers too. also, what i WANT to brew often outpaces what I actually have time to brew as well. So hop backlog ensues!

FWIW @cmac62 if you look at the price schemes for YVH, the 2oz packs really aren't that much more expensive. For example, their galaxy 2020 is $30 for a 16oz bag, but 8 2oz bags are only a combined $32.

I don't have a vacuum sealer (yet!) so I try to plan out what Im going to be dry hopping with and buy 2oz packs of those (if available) and typically buy some 8oz packs of others I norm use most often on hot side. As for my partial bags, I squeeze as much air out and reseal the bag and then put it into a ziplock freezer bag and squeeze the air out of that too before putting into freezer. Been working for me anyways.

Well maybe I'll have to use the saving $ on hops excuse to get me a vac sealer anyway, to go with the su vide machine I'm getting. Glad to hear their packaging works so well. Now, what products do I buy? The hopshots seem like a good deal with 30 ibu for 5 gal of 1050 wort for $3:00. Do they also last in the freezer? I also want to get some whole cone hops to try and do a vodka extraction. Also has anyone tried the lupomax pellets?

Maybe some others can chime in on the other products, I've only used their pellet hops, which are outstanding. I'd like to try lupmax in particular.

i have been buying the 2 oz pellet hops packages lately from there. it only adds up to 1$ more a pound so it’s a no brainer not to have to worry about resealing. I buy several pounds at a time to make shipping worth it and just get a bunch of variety. I have adjusted my standard ipa recipe to use 2 oz quantities of any one hop, so I don’t even need to weigh them out. Bajinga.

The vacuum sealer is perhaps one of the best/most used kitchen investments we have made. I got one as a "gift" for my wife, and told her of all the wonderful things it could do for our groceries and cooking. But she's much smarter than me, and quickly deduced that this gift was actually for my brewery when she saw me sealing up hops during a brew that same week. But that was ok, because she also learned to use and love it, and unlike so many other kitchen gadgets that seem like a good idea but then sit on a shelf or in a drawer, this one literally gets used daily.

i have been buying the 2 oz pellet hops packages lately from there. it only adds up to 1$ more a pound so it’s a no brainer not to have to worry about resealing. I buy several pounds at a time to make shipping worth it and just get a bunch of variety. I have adjusted my standard ipa recipe to use 2 oz quantities of any one hop, so I don’t even need to weigh them out. Bajinga.

Brilliant. I don't know why I never bothered doing the math on 2 oz vs 1 lb, but that is totally worth it.

Back