Orange zest in a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
So I'm thinking I want to add some orange zest to a pale ale. What do you guys think would be the best approach? I've never used any and was wondering if I should add it to the boil, fermenter, or make a vodka extract or something. I couldn't find any recipes for pale ales with zest. I think a nice dry, all cascade pale would be awesome with just a hint of orange citrus. I could be wrong, but I'm gonna try it anyway.

Zest a few oranges PER ADDITION...I like to add it at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flameout...I also "dryhop" with it as well. Its fantastic with C hops and other citrus hops

Thanks guys. I finally found the orange pale ale recipe started by blacklab. I see two of you referenced it for me. I'm kind of excited to give this a try. One more question though, will the zest impart much bitterness on top of the hops? I was wondering if I should back off the IBU's a little to compensate.

Use just the peel with as little pith as possible, i.e. zest. The pith is quite bitter. A potato peeler works great. You don't want to over do it. Start with a single orange at flameout and see if you like the results. I think you will.

Use just the peel with as little pith as possible, i.e. zest. The pith is quite bitter. A potato peeler works great. You don't want to over do it. Start with a single orange at flameout and see if you like the results. I think you will.

Thanks for the advice. Probably a good idea to start small and add more on the next batch if needed. I've got enough cascade left for about 3 or 4 batches, but all my kegs are full. I'll have to wait a few weeks before I try this. I wish I would have thought of this sooner so that I could have had some ready for summer.

Back