orange peels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6footbrewery

Reaction score
I want to make a wheat beer this weekend. I would love to make it a little orangey. I was thinking of adding a little orange peel right to the bottle. Would this work? Would I need to sanitize it first? If so how would i do that?
Thanks

Great question! I am a newbie and I have the same question.

From what I have heard, you add orange peels (or whatever) to a secondary fermentation vessel. I have no clue if this is right though, and I have no clue how one would sanitize them. I would assume there are problems with transferring the beer out of the second vessel and in the sanitation/chance of infection.

Hope someone has a better answer for you!

I actually just made an orange flavored Belgian ale and it turned out great!! Yes, you do need to sanitize it first. I took the zest and fruit from 2 oranges, tied them up in a hop bag, and boiled them for about 15 minutes (just to be safe). After boiling, I poured the water into my carboy through a strainer, to help make sure no pulp got in, then added the bag as well and let it sit for two weeks.

Make sure you only use the top layer of the peel though, not the white part underneath (the pith). If you get that it'll make your beer more bitter.

I have heard you could freeze them. Boiling them first would work or even dipping them in sanitizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Using the zest only(colored part),put maybe an ounce or so of zest in a hop sack & toss it in the boil the last 10-15 minutes. If using it like you would dry hops,then you have to sanitize them & the sack before adding to secondary.

I just made a super orangy wheat. I made the wheat--fermented as normal. The same day I made the beer I zested three oranges and added that to two shots worth of vodka and let that sit in the fridge for the length of ferment to make an extract. Then I added the orange extract to the bottling bucket at the same time as the priming sugar. Turned out great--but the orange flavor is pretty pronounced.

I just made a super orangy wheat. I made the wheat--fermented as normal. The same day I made the beer I zested three oranges and added that to two shots worth of vodka and let that sit in the fridge for the length of ferment to make an extract. Then I added the orange extract to the bottling bucket at the same time as the priming sugar. Turned out great--but the orange flavor is pretty pronounced.

Hey that's a great idea! I might do that. They make an orange vodka too. Maybe not the same flavor, more of a fake taste but it might be good to.

Yeah, forgot to mention you only need to boil the zest/fruit if you're adding to secondary. If you add as a late boil, you should be ok, but might want to anyway.

I just got back from my local brewery and the brewmaster said he adds then at flame out or in secondary. But only the zest. He said adding peel to the bottle would make it bitter. But adding zest would not. You don't want the white part of the peel.

Oh one more thing he said it would only give you aroma if you add it to the bottle or in the bottling bucket.

Oh one more thing he said it would only give you aroma if you add it to the bottle or in the bottling bucket.

Ok--well I can tell you that this beer tastes a lot like orange--it has more than just aroma for sure. Everyone has an opinion I guess.

Back