Orange Peel + hopstand = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosettaSt0ned

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Searched, but couldn't really find an answer to this.

I'm going to be brewing an IPA this week or next that I've brewed before, but I thought I'd try it with a hopstand this time. The issue being, I normally throw in .5 oz of sweet orange peel with 5 minutes left in the boil. With the hopstand, I'm wondering what sort of effect this will have on the extraction of the orange peel. It'll be sitting at 190+ for 30 minutes, then cooled to 150ish for a second hopstand.

I want some of the orange flavor to come through, but I'm worried that 5 minutes boiled + 30 minutes at 190 + 30 minutes at 150 will result in a beer that tastes like an orange infused with vodka.

Maybe add it with 5-10 minutes left into the 190 hopstand?

Really good point. Spice additions are still largely undiscovered or unresearched territory. You're using common sense, and some gut feeling brew science, which is good.

I can't answer it exactly, but I have noticed the orange flavor from peels/zest gets darker, deeper with longer boil or hot steep times. The fragrant "high notes" are lost within 5-10 minutes. It turns into a different more spice-like flavor. Yes, orange but not like fresh juice or the zesting experience.

I did this in a Hefe and it turned out great. Did a hop stand of Cascade with the orange peel still in there (I think I did 1/3 oz of sweet orange peel at 5 minutes in a 3 gallon batch) and it came out delicious; a nice orange flavor but not overwhelming.

Really good point. Spice additions are still largely undiscovered or unresearched territory. You're using common sense, and some gut feeling brew science, which is good.

I can't answer it exactly, but I have noticed the orange flavor from peels/zest gets darker, deeper with longer boil or hot steep times. The fragrant "high notes" are lost within 5-10 minutes. It turns into a different more spice-like flavor. Yes, orange but not like fresh juice or the zesting experience.

Yeah, I'm looking for just a bit of that fragrant note in concert with the hops. Normally I would go over what I think would happen and test, or do a split batch, but I'm brewing this specifically as a competition beer and don't want to be knocked for excessive fruitiness.

It just makes sense to me that longer steep time would equal a more pronounced orange flavor, so I think I might throw it in near the middle/end of the 150 hopstand to limit that.

Latest posts

Back