Orange Hefe, not enough orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds1

Reaction score
I have an Orange Hefe kegged and ready to go for a wedding reception on Saturday, the only problem is I can't taste the orange at all.

I zested 3 small sweet organic oranges, soaked the zest in vodka for two weeks, and then added the vodka to the keg and racked on top of it. I couldn't taste any orange at all when I pulled a flat sample so I zested 3 more oranges and soaked the zest for a week while the beer carbed. I just added that mixture, and while the orange is there now, it's not quite where I want to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting some more orange flavor into the beer, can I add fresh squeezed orange juice? And yes, I could slice a bunch of oranges up and have the attendees add them to the beer, but I'm not looking to do that.

Thanks.

What about using an orange extract, I use watermelon and peach added to a secondary for the wheats I make. If they don't have it at the LHBS those Italian soda syrups work.

What about using an orange extract, I use watermelon and peach added to a secondary for the wheats I make. If they don't have it at the LHBS those Italian soda syrups work.
How much extract you add per gallon? I found some and was contemplating that very thing, but wasn't sure how much to add

I have an Orange Hefe kegged and ready to go for a wedding reception on Saturday, the only problem is I can't taste the orange at all.

I zested 3 small sweet organic oranges, soaked the zest in vodka for two weeks, and then added the vodka to the keg and racked on top of it. I couldn't taste any orange at all when I pulled a flat sample so I zested 3 more oranges and soaked the zest for a week while the beer carbed. I just added that mixture, and while the orange is there now, it's not quite where I want to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting some more orange flavor into the beer, can I add fresh squeezed orange juice? And yes, I could slice a bunch of oranges up and have the attendees add them to the beer, but I'm not looking to do that.

Thanks.
I used orange zest in an early brew . It was a 2 1/2 gallon batch and it(the other 2 1/2 gallons) was a hef originally as well. In the last 10 minutes of my boil I added zest of 2 large oranges and zest of 1 lime, a tablespoon of crushed coriander and hopped with Apollo(30 mins). I still have 2 bottles left . I can taste just enough orange to call it a success. However, with the addition of an orange slice to the rim of the glass,its even better. I'm doing a Belgian Wit soon and will do the same with that.

Latest posts

Back