Orange,coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Hi
Im looking at putting some orange peel and coriander into a extract brew
do you think i should steep them or add them to the wort or the primery
or the secondary ? its going into a pale ale and i want nice suttle flavors.
Cheers Daza

I normally put the orange peel and coriander in the last few (4 or 5) minutes of the boil or steep them for 15 minutes after the boil. Be cautious with the coriander — it easily can be overdone. Steep it for only a few minutes and then remove it quickly.

Good luck,
Wild

Cheers for that .how much orange peel and coriander would you put in for a 21 liter brew?
Thank Daza

Average usage is:
¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds
¼ oz. Belgian Bitter Orange Peel

Good luck,
Wild

wild said:
Average usage is:
¼ tsp. Crushed Coriander Seeds
¼ oz. Belgian Bitter Orange Peel

I respectfully disagree: I think these amounts are on the low side of average. Wit recipes frequently call for 2 or 3 times this amount: often split between the last 15 minutes of the boil and the last 2-5 minutes.

With my Wit which "I" think has a nice balance my schedule all within the boil is:

1/2 oz bitter orange - 15 min
1 tsp crushed corriander 15 min
1/2 oz bitter orange - 1 min
1 tsp crushed corriander 1 min

desertBrew said:
With my Wit which "I" think has a nice balance my schedule all within the boil is:

1/2 oz bitter orange - 15 min
1 tsp crushed corriander 15 min
1/2 oz bitter orange - 1 min
1 tsp crushed corriander 1 min

Recipe? I'm designing an AG wit recipe even as we speak.

cweston said:
Recipe? I'm designing an AG wit recipe even as we speak.

I web hunted mine down from someone who received some awards on theirs. Click on my Buggy Beligum Wit hotlink for the ProMash report which I've brewed twice. However, I probably won't make it again with the actual belgium strain of yeast. It's just too dominant of a taste and I'm about the only one that likes it. But, it is a good recipe. I had a belgium wit at BJ's brewhouse (west coast chain) and mine was very close to theirs.

I am doing the same recipe with CA Ale yeast in my fermenter right now and have a feeling I'm going to like it better. I'd rather get a bit closer to Blue Moon than true belgium style personally.

Oh, it was buggy because I had weavels all over the grains. More protein for the mash but didn't change the taste :cross: from the 1st time I made it.

I used a whole bag of the bitter orange peels I got from my HBS . . . not sure of weight.

I also used a 3/4 oz freshly ground coriander. I know that this is on the higher side of recommendations, but it tasted just right IMO. It may be a bit too much, but when I add the orange slice to the beer, it is perfect. If I drank my wits w/out an orange slice, I would probably back off the coriander to around 1/2 oz.

Just my .02

desertBrew said:
I'd rather get a bit closer to Blue Moon than true belgium style personally.

I can relate to that: I love the funk of the Belgian strains, but my wife, who really likes a Blue Moon-style beer doesn't care for it much. I've been wondering if it's possible to use a blend of yeast strains to get a compromise. Or maybe just do a ten gallon batch and split it between 2 yeast strains.

10 gallon batch and split it is the way to go if you want two yeast strains. In my opinion, the Wit yeast from White Labs isn't all that "funky". YMMV.

Blue Moon is not a Wit beer...just so we're clear on that ;)

What you really want is a Celis White. Or if you can't get that, a Hoegaarden. To get there, you have to use unmalted wheat and introduce lactic acid in some way. Probably use some sugar too.

As far as coriander, I've always found it to be really volatile, so I tend to go pretty heavy on it. The wort will taste really overboard with coriander, but the fermentation seems to scrub a lot of it away in my experience. Again, YMMV.

Brewing real Wits is tricky stuff for sure. Some of my most stuck mashes have been Wits.

Cheers :D

I used the zest from 3 oranges. I didn't want to add any of the white part of the peel. It's just too bitter. I used a little over a half a tablespoon of coriander as well.

I put the zest into a steeping bag and put it in the last 10 minutes of the boil along with the coriander. Its in bottles right now, but I will let you know how it turns out. During the first week of fermentation it had a strong citrus smell through the airlock. The smell has subsided to pretty much nothing, which is fine by me. I wasn't looking for a fruit beer, but more of jsut a slight aftertaste.

Thanks for ya help people thats really got my head spinning :cross: hahaha
What yeast do you use on these types of beers whats a nice fruity one
Daza

Janx said:
Blue Moon is not a Wit beer...just so we're clear on that ;)

But, but Coors says :eek: :

Blue Moon Belgian White, Belgian-style wheat ale, is a refreshing, medium-bodied, unfiltered Belgian-style wheat ale spiced with fresh coriander and orange peel for a uniquely complex taste and an uncommonly smooth finish.

Yea, I know bassturdized american version. Ize sperimenting with my american hefe version with orange and corriander. I got a big old party going on in about 5 weeks where I need to have appealing pool side beers for the masses and true to style wit wouldn't be cutting it. Think this might go over well with the ladies though along with the apricot wheat.

Daznz said:
What yeast do you use on these types of beers whats a nice fruity one

Not sure what all you have down there to pick up from but if you are trying to do a belgium Wit style with your orange and corriander look for that strain of yeast. Or are you just trying to change up some other form of wheat beer? You get Wyeast or White Labs down there?

Hi ya

Yea we do have wyeast but i have to order it and thay get it from the states i would say.. wyeasts we have are ale, lager, wheat/ belgain, brettanonyces/lactic
The beer im trying to clone is a macs blonde wheat beer from a nz brewing co
it is a interpretation of the classic wheat beer. coriander and orange wheat beer.
Im am a extract brewer so i will be working on it that way so any ideas on ingredients would be great,
Thanks Daza

Back